Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: Different Gun Question

I always find peoples aversion to firearms amusing. I have a background in the Marines and extensive firearm training. Ive personally trained something like 10 people to safely operate a vast variety of firearms. All that out of the way.

I carry on my vessel. Even on short trips. I wont go into a long rant but we have had people robbed and in some rare cases murdered for their vessel.

Like anything else I put in my boat a firearm for me (as the skipper) serves a purpose same as a first aid kit which I also carry as a precaution. Both are items I hope to never need to use on my vessel but they are there all the same.

If you do not have adequate training and do not plan to take a firearms firing course please do not handle a firearm on board. So much can go wrong.

That being said yes in my opinion there are many instances where one might need a firearm, luckily they are rare and hopefully I will never find a need to use one on my vessel.
deltaten likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

David-
On your original question, the only disadvantage might be that you will be putting your fingerprints on file and spending some money. Other than that...if you want it, it shouldn't do any harm.

Minne-
"I don't see much difference between a Glock and a revolver, in terms of safety. Neither have a safety."

Funny, I thought all the Glocks had a trigger safety. No finger on the trigger? It can't fire. They do call that a safety.
Revolvers also have a safety, every cowboy knew that you kept one chamber unloaded and kept that one under the firing pin, so that the empty chamber couldn't accidentally be fired, you had to advance past the empty first.

Safety? Condition 4, Condition 0, all the stuff in between is useless. The Glock safety and a trained finger work pretty well.
Old 02-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
.....Funny, I thought all the Glocks had a trigger safety. No finger on the trigger? It can't fire. They do call that a safety.
While that is a safety practice, a safety technically prevents the trigger from being pulled at all. The Glock actually has a two triggers, one is inside and extended just a touch in front of the other. You must depress this little one, or the big one (which actually cocks the hammer) won't depress. It is intended to prevent a side swipe from accidentally pulling the trigger, but your finger really can't avoid it.

Quote:
Revolvers also have a safety, every cowboy knew that you kept one chamber unloaded and kept that one under the firing pin, so that the empty chamber couldn't accidentally be fired, you had to advance past the empty first.
That works. Again, the Glock was designed to have an internal safety that prevents the firing pin from accessing the round, unless the trigger is actually pulled. Good design.
SirRedemption likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-25-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The point of the Glock patented trigger safety was never to lock out the trigger, as a conventional safety does. But rather, to ensure the gun is safe, meaning it can't go off by accident if dropped, etc.

And if someone really needs it, fast, they can't forget to disengage the safety.

Which is really what a safety is all about: preventing accidental discharges, nothing more. Finger's on the trigger? OK, then there's nothing accidental going on. Assuming someone didn't leave their pink Hello Kitty custom job where the kids would find it.
Old 02-25-2013

sailortrash is on a distinguished road

don't bother with the ccw course. take a gun safety course instead.
Old 02-25-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Most of my handgun experience has been with double action revolvers although I have shot single action revolvers and single and double semi-automatic handguns. I have shot a friend's Glock, pretty much like a double action revolver assuming there is a round in the chamber, just pick it up, pull the fairly long and heavy trigger pull and repeat as necessary. Each time I shot with him the Glock jammed at least once. Not sure if he was shooting wimpy loads or what, but not good.

Seems like the double action revolver is about as fool proof as it can get. I can't think of a way it would fire without the trigger being pulled all the way back and held there.

I have read about some police depts only allowing their officers to carry double action only semi-automatic handguns to reduce the possibility of "accidental" firings. I doubt if any law enforcement agencies still carry revolvers?

Paul T
Old 02-25-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Understanding basic gun safety is a good idea for anyone. We were taught that as kids from my ex military dad. Lack of such training is the source of many gun problems.
Old 02-25-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Understanding basic gun safety is a good idea for anyone. We were taught that as kids from my ex military dad. Lack of such training is the source of many gun problems.
ignorance is often the source of most gun fear, which is the most insane thing I can imagine.

Approach firearms with understanding that it is a tool like any other, but that its operation varies greatly by make model and era.

Glock makes a nice firearm btw but not much good for me. My fingers are too short to get a comfortable natural saddle in a glock.
Old 02-25-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
There is no danger when a weapon is on safe to not have your finger in the trigger guard.
I really have to disagree with that. I would not allow that behavior in my presence or with any of my guns (Whoops I forgot, I have no guns, I sold them all for incense, candles and love beads...nothing to see here Big Brother). Unless one is going to shoot or the need to shoot could arise very quickly there is no need to have your finger in the trigger guard. Placing your finger along the outside and top of the trigger guard is called "indexing", that is the proper place for your trigger finger (or index finger) with a loaded gun. Finger on the trigger only if you intend to fire or simulate fire with an empty gun.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 02-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
...Seems like the double action revolver is about as fool proof as it can get. I can't think of a way it would fire without the trigger being pulled all the way back and held there.....
Pretty good, but not fool proof. On many revolvers, even with the hammer down, you can hit it sufficiently from behind to fire a round. It may take a bit, like dropping it or having something heavy hit it. Like a fool would do.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.