Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Different Gun Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
.....My Father's Smith & Wesson 357 mag Combat Model 19, for example, does not have the safety mentioned. It was made in the 60s and re-worked for competition to boot......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
....I happen to know the model 19 fairly well and know for certain that it came from the factory with the block in place.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
.....As Shinook suggested, it appears yours may have been modified, damaged or incorrectly re-assembled.......
Guys, yes, my post clearly mentioned its modification. Its also has a trigger job. It is my Father's, not mine. He was a competitive pistol shooter and instructor years back.

The point I was making was that the OP could not tell the difference and a revolver might be vulnerable. The Glock will not be. I have heard of people lightening the Glock trigger, but never removing the firing pin safety.

I find the full pull on the Glock for each round to be much safer than semi-autos that have a heavy double action pull and then an extraordinarily light single action pull after that, ie the P226. While the first will keep you from shooting yourself in the foot, the rest are near hair triggers.

If you want a pistol with a heavy pull, try the Walther PPK. I have an original, made in Germany. Must be at least 20 lbs on double action and still 10 on single after that. James Bond must have had some grip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Different Gun Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Guys, yes, my post clearly mentioned its modification. Its also has a trigger job. It is my Father's, not mine. He was a competitive pistol shooter and instructor years back.

The point I was making was that the OP could not tell the difference and a revolver might be vulnerable. The Glock will not be. I have heard of people lightening the Glock trigger, but never removing the firing pin safety.

I find the full pull on the Glock for each round to be much safer than semi-autos that have a heavy double action pull and then an extraordinarily light single action pull after that, ie the P226. While the first will keep you from shooting yourself in the foot, the rest are near hair triggers.

If you want a pistol with a heavy pull, try the Walther PPK. I have an original, made in Germany. Must be at least 20 lbs on double action and still 10 on single after that. James Bond must have had some grip.
M,

Missed that, I guess I was focused on this:

"Originally Posted by Minnewaska
Pretty good, but not fool proof. On many revolvers, even with the hammer down, you can hit it sufficiently from behind to fire a round. It may take a bit, like dropping it or having something heavy hit it. Like a fool would do."

On trigger pull, a friend bought his wife a Smith & Wesson J Frame double action only, no external hammer, in .38 Special caliber. As with small, light guns, kind of nasty to shoot. The trigger pull, for safety reasons, I guess, was so heavy she could just barely pull it through. I suggested he return it to have the pull reduced somewhat, but he said "it will loosen up in time" to which I said "maybe in 10,000 rounds or so"

Small Frame (J) - Smith & Wesson

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook