Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Different Gun Question

First I apologize to the moderators for starting another gun thread. But this one is different so hopefully I can get the information I'm looking for and not be sidetracked.

I am doing everything I can to prepare myself for off-shore sailing. I'm getting certifications, training, everything I can think of to be well prepared. This means I plan on being on a lot of different boats with different skippers.

It occurred to me that some skippers carry guns aboard. I've never touched a gun before so I got to thinking that for safety's sake I should at least know if one is loaded and how to remove a clip if it has one, remove a round in the chamber and check the safety.
I took a one hour one-on-one class at the local gun range. He showed me around about dozen rifles so I've got pretty good idea of how to check if one is loaded.

I have the opportunity to take the one day pistol class and go for my CT pistol licence.
It is a more formal class more about safety etc.

Can you think of any downside to getting a state pistol permit?
Is their anything else you can think of in reference to my education and guns and safety at sea that I should know.

The only thing that I ask, if you would be so kind, is that you do not make any comments about whether a gun should be on a boat. That subject has been discussed at length and I would appreciate it if this thread could be limited to the the two questions above.

I am not planning on purchasing a gun and am not asking for advice on that subject. If however I find myself on a boat where someone else has brought a gun on-board I would like your thoughts about what I should know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Different Gun Question

I can't imagine a situation where you would need to know any more than how to safely unload and check the chamber unless you are planning to use it.

If you are envisioning some scenario where you would want to be able to use a gun then you should definitely take a formal class and get some practice. If you intend to carry a concealed pistol then get the permit, otherwise you are wasting time and money. A ccw gives you permission to carry concealed, nothing more or less.
Old 02-22-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
If however I find myself on a boat where someone else has brought a gun on-board I would like your thoughts about what I should know.

You should know the person is an idiott and get off the boat!

Do I need to be more clear?
davidpm and chef2sail like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

If there is any chance at all you feel you would have to touch a gun then learn as much about them as you can. IMO everyone should at least know how to safely handle a gun. If you can't immediately perform the function you want to do with one, put it down and ask for help.

Whatever your decision turns out to be here are 2 golden rules...

DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER IN THE TRIGGER GUARD UNLESS YOU INTEND TO SHOOT! PERIOD! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Also pretend a stream of acid is continuously streaming from the barrel and anything made of flesh will die if it gets in front of that barrel or if you point it at someone. Many people get killed by "empty" guns.
jrd22 and davidpm like this.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
I can't imagine a situation where you would need to know any more than how to safely unload and check the chamber unless you are planning to use it.
That was pretty much my thinking and the intent of my having the gun guy give me the tour.
Old 02-22-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
The only thing that I ask, if you would be so kind, is that you do not make any comments about whether a gun should be on a boat. That subject has been discussed at length and I would appreciate it if this thread could be limited to the the two questions above.

Looks like you should have went with a bigger font
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 02-22-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

I think you would not want a carry permit as you will be treated differently by law enforcement!...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 02-22-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

I can tell you three things, with certainty:

1. I love guns
2. This is not a gun forum
3. You're nuts
Old 02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
I think you would not want a carry permit as you will be treated differently by law enforcement!...Dale
That thought crossed my mind.
Do you have any evidence or experience with this?
Old 02-22-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I don't believe you have been given any bad information...so far..in this thread.

As rough as it sounds (at first), even what MarkSea has posted is actually and factually correct. Similar to the "don't know? DON'T touch!" rule... if yer on a boat..or anywhere, for that matter and someone starts handling a gun, poorly or like an idiot...GTFO.. right-damm'd-now! The only thing as dangerous as someone doing so that doesn't know how to handle a gun is someone who *thinks* they know how!

Unless and until you are *comfortable* (asterisks denote a poor choice of word; but I can't seem to find the one I want! ) with the possibility of taking a life...DO NOT CARRY; licensed and concealed or otherwise!

IF you decide that you're OK with that possibility, then by all means take all the accreditation you may need, add several more courses and practice...practice..practice!
Going about armed is not simply a choice...it's a lifestyle. Learn it, live it, love it.. or leave it alone!\

This is the same as we teach in class, so yer not the only one to receive these admonitions.

AFA what Lake stated and davidpm asked... yes! There is a distinct difference between one whom is ignorant of the law and someone taking the right to carry and getting certified. The plain citizen can plead ignorance in court. The certified individual is ..and had better.. know the laws and restrictions. It is your duty to follow all local, municipal, county, state and federal laws wherever you are..even if they change at an imaginary line on a map!

Stay safe!
Paul

Last edited by deltaten; 02-22-2013 at 09:01 PM.