Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road
What strainer do I need?

I have a deck washdown pump connected to a dedicated seacock. Between the pump and the seacock is a Jabsco Pumpguard strainer (Model 46400-0002). The only time the seacock is open is when the washdown system is being used.

Nonetheless, when I bought the bought the boat the surveyor included the following as a required change: "Upgrade non-reinforced plastic strainer with reinforced plastic and/or bronze strainer...."

I've looked through various catalogs have not found an obvious replacement. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
What strainer do I need?-jabsco-pumpguard.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: What strainer do I need?

Is this something your insurer is going to insist on? Was it a survey 'must do' or a suggested 'nice to do'?

If its doing the job and you're diligent about the seacock it seems a typical RW intake strainer would be overkill. However we have a similar strainer and at one point the plastic thread-on lid developed a crack and it began to weep.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Is this something your insurer is going to insist on? Was it a survey 'must do' or a suggested 'nice to do'?
The surveyor listed it under "Required" repairs and corrections so the insurer expects it to be done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

West River, MD
Old 02-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
The surveyor listed it under "Required" repairs and corrections so the insurer expects it to be done.
Hmmm... The only small inline bronze strainers I can find are typical plumbing Y strainers. One of these would work, I suppose, but they are less convenient to check/clean. I suppose, depending on your area you might try simply removing it? Is the thruhull a screened type?

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 02-23-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
Clearly, if the seacock were open and the temperature dropped, the boat would sink. And I have know those to craze over the years and fail spontaneously or for a barb to snap off too.

Moving it well above the water line might be another solution, depending on the geometry. Then you can clean it without valves.

Sail Delmarva: Easier Winterizing

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 02-23-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Clearly, if the seacock were open and the temperature dropped, the boat would sink. And I have know those to craze over the years and fail spontaneously or for a barb to snap off too.

Moving it well above the water line might be another solution, depending on the geometry. Then you can clean it without valves.

Sail Delmarva: Easier Winterizing
Both the pump and the pumpguard strainer that is inline before the pump are in the bilge. So, moving the strainer would mean relocating the pump which is not an option. I'm not sure I understand your comment about the temperature dropping. Do you mean if it dropped below freezing? I'm not that hard core. I'm also confused as to why, if these pumpguards are such a danger, why more appropriate alternatives are not readily available. I'm just not sure what to use.

West River, MD
Old 02-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Yes, not much available for that kind of duty beyond the various pumpguards.. not even, it seems, much in the way of competitors with Jabsco.

A typical Y strainer such as below should do the job.. just not as easy to 'see' when it needs a cleaning, but it should protect the pump and satisfy the surveyor, esp using bronze barb fittings for the hose.

Old 02-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
A typical Y strainer such as below should do the job.. just not as easy to 'see' when it needs a cleaning, but it should protect the pump and satisfy the surveyor, esp using bronze barb fittings for the hose.

Thanks Faster. Is that really a strainer? Does it have a screen inside? Looks like a Y-connection to me and I don't really understand how that works. Sorry if I'm being really slow about this.

West River, MD
Old 02-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Here's another look... the flow goes into the Y, inside the cylindrical screen, passes through the screen walls and to the outlet. To clean you open the Y, pull the screen and clean it, flush the cavity, reassemble and off you go. It's just not something you can 'look at' to see if it's fouling.

Available at any good plumbing outlet, at non marine prices!! You may not find bronze barb hose fitting there, though...

Flow is left to right:

Last edited by Faster; 02-23-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have this type when I installed our washdown system. If you leave the stockcock open and the weakest point is a peiece of plastic, that his concern,. This is robust as the one on our engine raw water intake.

Good procedure is to leave stopcock closed until using it also.

Intake Water Strainer - iboats

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner