SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Handy to have spare parts

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 · (Edited)
We have had spare part threads before but I would like to have a list of the perhaps not obvious things that might come in handy.

Screws, engine parts, filters, wire, oil etc are standard for any long distance cruising boat.
I found the following items on one cruisers list that I would not have thought about. What useful not obvious items can you think of?

• Fastcure 5200
  • G/5 West system (and maybe some of their other specialty tubes)
  • 3' lengths of threaded rod with nuts and washers (You can make bolts)
  • A couple pieces of plywood
  • Some random lenghts of aluminum angle and flat stock
  • Some lengths of Amsteel braid line (can be made into shackles or standing rigging.

Reactions: kellysails
#4 ·
Back about 30 years ago we were sailing our O'day 22 around the keys. Our rudder and tiller disappeared in the middle of the night.
I had a 4' piece of 1x4 a push drill, wire and a vice-grips.
I was actually able to have some control over the boat with a 3.5" rudder and a vice-grips for a tiller.

#6 ·
Gorilla Tape;

I use the black, only because I did not know it was available in white until now. :D

#7 ·
Stainless wire.
Zip ties.
Cordless drill and impact driver (and charger).
Spare macerator pump.
Head rebuild kit.
Large assortment of hose clamps.
JB weld.
Rescue tape (which has already been mentioned).
Lots of extra lines, halyards, dyneema, etc

#8 ·
Good list.
Will add jb weld to my list.
I always have zip ties but forgot about them for the list.

#11 ·
Some other (perhaps obvious) spares. I would include any spares for essential systems that can keep the boat going:

Spare sails and sail repair kit (I carry an old spare main and 3 headsails)
Plenty of line, blocks etc.
Spare stay and fittings (long enough to replace your longest stay)
Engine impellers, belts, filters, oil, spare hoses etc.
Spare alternator (automotive will do)
Good electrical kit with different gauge wire, connectors etc.
Voltmeter/tester
Rebuild kits for pumps aboard
Handheld GPS with extra batteries (and paper charts)
Handheld VHF
Tools, tools, tools so you can fix anything yourself

Basically, spares for any of the essential systems so you (hopefully) never have to be stuck somewhere waiting for parts to be able to sail the boat. This gives you the luxury of choosing when and where to stop the boat for repairs and maintenance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.