Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: What is the quietest fresh water pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I'd rather hear the thump than find 100 gallons of water consumed by a child brushing his/her teeth.
Ah... Try turning off the pump and getting folks to rely upon a hand/foot pump at the galley sink when the yacht's away from the dock except when showering (navy showers) or rinsing dishes after washing. One (or one's child) takes a glass of water to the head to brush one's teeth, for example. (We did this with our daughter when she was small and, after we returned from an extended trip, the first morning home she walked into the kitchen, got a glass from the cupboard, filled it with water at the kitchen sink and headed for her bathroom. "Where ya going with that?" I asked. "To brush my teeth Daddy" she replied. I just smiled, "Good for You honeybee!") Those were the daze...
rugosa likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 04-25-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2013

jbeahon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Actually, you can mount the pump on two lengths of 2" (non-wire reinforced) hose with the ends cut off on the diagonal and screwed/bolted to the sole. The flexibility of the hose will substantially reduce the "pounding" noise of the pump. One just needs ensure that the waterlines have enough slack on either side of the pump to flex without damage to the connections. In addition to checking the accumulator bladder, you might also check to ensure that your pressure switch is operating properly and not activating for an unnecessarily high pressure.

FWIW...
Capt. Len,
Do you have a picture or a drawing of this installation? I'd like to try it but I'm not sure I understand how it can be done with only two lengths of 2" hose. Seems like you'd need one for each of the four mounting bolts. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2013

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

The quitest pump i have seen is the new variable speed pumps. They are made by a few companies Sure Flow, Jabsco and probably others. Pretty spendy but when you see how well they work you will be happy.

JABSCO V-Flo Variable Speed Pump 5.0 at West Marine

Mitch
Old 04-25-2013
"Anhinga" St. Augustine

Capt.Alex is on a distinguished road

I had a headhunter pump in my fishing boat. It is variable speed and extremely quiet...extremely expensive too.

X-Caliber - 12-24 DC
Headhunter, Inc
Old 04-25-2013

radcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Ah... except when showering (navy showers) or rinsing dishes after washing. ...
I second those navy showers- no Hollywoods on my boat.
Old 04-25-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeahon View Post
Capt. Len,
Do you have a picture or a drawing of this installation? I'd like to try it but I'm not sure I understand how it can be done with only two lengths of 2" hose. Seems like you'd need one for each of the four mounting bolts. Thanks.
One only needs a length of hose slightly longer than the distance between the mounting feet on the pump with the ends of the hoses cut at a 45ļ angle, the long side being down for mounting screws of bolts. Set the pump on the first length of hose and mark the points where the mounting bolts will be. Then, drill through those points with a bit about the size of the mounting bolts using a few odd pieces if the hose, similarly drilled, as a backing inside the hose itself. Slip the mounting bolts through the pump "feet" and then through the hose and backing pieces. A little dab of Lanacoat on ones finger will allow one to position and hold first a cut washer and then a nyloc nut over the bolt ends to get the threads started after which one can use a box wrench to hold the nut while tightening the mounting bolts from above. Once the hoses are secured to the mounting feet, the long sides of the diagonally cut hose are through bolted or screwed to the deck or bulkhead where the pump is to be mounted. The hose lengths then act as a vibration dampener and will substantially reduce vibrations/noise from the pump. BTDT...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 05-08-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Typo