SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Soft Sole Replacement

5K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  bljones 
#1 ·
Started my spring project list a little early, wanted to open it up and see what I was getting into...

I cut the top layer of glass off with a cordless saw and peeled back the sole...

Going to need warmer waether to thaw out the wet balsa core and get it clean and dry enought to replace, but I have a pretty good idea what I'm up against....Looks like 3/8" balsa core between two 1/8" glass layers...

I have enough 1/2" marine plywood to fill thew area, and was hoping to use that (assuming I can clean and scrape enough depth out....) and then cover with a layer of epoxy and glass cloth...

But now that it's open I'm wondering...??

1. Can I just fill the hollowed out core with layers of glass and epoxy (no wood)...? or

2. If I cut the lip off (that forms the bildge panel opening) could I run some teak/cumaru/holly flooring panels ..."perpendicular" to the keel across the bildge side to side...? or

3. Just rebuild the sole with ply and keep the stock bildge panel covers...?

See less See more
#32 ·
Thanks guys, I did buil it myself to custom fit the boat...

Being on the large size for a trailer sailer and more of a "transportable boat" I wanted something substantial to carry, hold and store the boat on so I came up with this...

Pulls like a dream with my half ton Chevy, and launchs like a 15' aluminumboat at the ramp.... 20 minutes and by myself...same with loading and pulling it out...

I'm in and out of there before the big ******** drivers finish yelling at their wife on how to back up a trailer... ;)

#33 ·
It looks more substantial than most boatyard cradles.

Maybe a few lightning holes in those beam webs? That would really make it look "techy". :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.