Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Soft Sole Replacement

Started my spring project list a little early, wanted to open it up and see what I was getting into...

I cut the top layer of glass off with a cordless saw and peeled back the sole...

Going to need warmer waether to thaw out the wet balsa core and get it clean and dry enought to replace, but I have a pretty good idea what I'm up against....Looks like 3/8" balsa core between two 1/8" glass layers...

I have enough 1/2" marine plywood to fill thew area, and was hoping to use that (assuming I can clean and scrape enough depth out....) and then cover with a layer of epoxy and glass cloth...

But now that it's open I'm wondering...??

1. Can I just fill the hollowed out core with layers of glass and epoxy (no wood)...? or

2. If I cut the lip off (that forms the bildge panel opening) could I run some teak/cumaru/holly flooring panels ..."perpendicular" to the keel across the bildge side to side...? or

3. Just rebuild the sole with ply and keep the stock bildge panel covers...?
Old 02-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Soft Sole Replacement

I think it would be unnecessarily expensive and heavy (not to mention a lot of work) to build that all up with glass. A properly bonded dry core and a new top skin will give you back the stiffness you'll need. Plywood should be fine, just a bit heavier than original..new balsa or foam would work too..

If the budget allows, I think I'd buy a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 'teak and holly' plywood (around $250, IIRC) and cover the whole area with that (after rebuilding the liner), with cutout 'lift outs' in the areas of the original bilge access boards. A single sheet would probably do and if you're really careful with the saw you can probably cut the sections out and maintain the grain and continuity, with the kerf giving you the right clearance for easy bind-free liftout. Epoxy seal the underside, and glue the 'cutouts' to appropriate plywood substrate so everything stays level.

This also saves you the trouble and effort of getting a perfectly 'fair' surface on your rebuilt liner top skin..

For the liftouts you can simply drill a clean "finger" hole (use a forstner bit) or install lift rings. Should be obvious which of those options saves you a few bucks!

A nice coat of varnish (shame that Ultimate Sole is not longer available) and your sole will look better than new!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2013
Superior Sailor

Started to scrape out the old and see what kind of room I have to fill...Looks like the 1/2" marine ply I already have will work in this application...

Unless this stuff has swolen that much....looks to be the same thickness as the replacement ply...

oysterman23 likes this.
Old 04-07-2013
Superior Sailor

Got a chance to do a little more damage in the boat...

Got the sole opened up and the old soft Balsa sub floor out...

Started fitting Marine grade plywood to fill void...

Next step is to coat plywood and epoxy into soleprior to glass work...but for that I'm gonna need some warmer days/nights...my little heater warms up tyhe air enough to work but probably not warm enought to kick the epoxy...That and I want things to dry up a little more before I reseal...
Old 04-07-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

For floors and especially stairs that will be walked on a lot we use a lot of Tuf-Shield. Looks ok, and lasts for ages.
Old 04-08-2013
Superior Sailor

I'm going to be looking more toward a "non-skid" finish o the topcoat epoxy...
Old 04-27-2013
Superior Sailor

Finaly had a couple days up near 60* that and a couple small heaters in the cabin and I layed in the new plywood...I coated the sole "tub" and the bottom and edged of the filler and then held in place with some weight bags...

Due to space constraints I did one side at a time, which gave me time to get everything lined in right...and held in place...I also had time to replace the leaking foot pump for the gally sink...

I ran out of epoxy, when I get my next batch, I'll coat the top of the ply and lay in a couple layers of glass cloth.
Old 05-05-2013
Superior Sailor

Had a couple warm days (finally) so I layed up a bit moreepoxy on the sole...

I had already coated the bottom of the plywood as well as edges, then a layer in bottom of sole cavity...let that harden up...

Then I mixed a batch and poured it in the cracks and gaps around the plywood to tie everything together...I coated the top of the plywood and layed in a wide layer of 6oz cloth over the existing sole...

Then another narrower layer of cloth and epoxy to build up the thickness of the original sole.

When this hardens up, I'll sand the lumps and bumps out and be ready for the final top coat to smooth it all out into one texture...

Not sure if I want to go to the trouble of making molds and trying to duplicate the old non skid pattern with borders etc...or just dust it with silica sand in the wet top coat and then cover with paint...
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 05-05-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

looks like you are moving right along. That sole should be stronger than new..

And what are these 'warm days" you are talking about?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2013
Superior Sailor

Been fighting winter tooth and nail to leave...Had our first 50* day last weekend and then Wednesday Thursday and Friday it snowed...

May 3rd at my marina

This weekend we're hitting 60s, but I still have the electric heater going to get the epoxy to kick...
Minnesail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.