Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013

Shinook is on a distinguished road
Re: iPhone4 and iPad2 w/o 3G

The iPhone GPS isn't really accurate enough for "precision" navigation on it's own, it is most effective combined with other sources of input. You'd be better getting a receiver designed for your given purposes. I've had the receiver show me between 10-15 miles off my actual location before and take upwards of 30 minutes to get an initial fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

I think your iphone is broken. Mine fixes quickly and resolves to within feet.
Old 03-06-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think your iphone is broken. Mine fixes quickly and resolves to within feet.
Second that. I just disabled WiFi and Cellular on my iPad3, rebooted and opened MotionX-GPS. The spinning globe went from red to blue in about 10 seconds.

There is no longer reduced accuracy for civilian use. Rather, DoD can enable Selective Availability (SA) in times of emergency. There are also military receivers not available for civilian use that allow very high altitude and speed positioning. In general GPS is GPS on the civilian side. So for the 3G iPad, the GPS is real. Some people think that what Apple calls "Assisted GPS" to be less than real GPS. The opposite is true, Apple uses combined Wi-Fi and 3G signals to assist GPS is areas of poor reception like in cities where the sky is obscured and multi-path abounds.
Old 03-06-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I have an iPad 3 with cellular. I have the Garmin app and down loaded their charts. The app is free but the charts cost. My iPad has GPS and worked beautifully all the way down through Florida and across to the Bahamas. The cellular connection also gives me full Active Captn information but as a GPS unit it works beautifully without cellular connection - great charts and great accuracy
Old 03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Some people think that what Apple calls "Assisted GPS" to be less than real GPS. The opposite is true, Apple uses combined Wi-Fi and 3G signals to assist GPS is areas of poor reception like in cities where the sky is obscured and multi-path abounds.
Assisted GPS works great in areas where that information is available, so on land and by using location data from other sources. When you get out of those areas, the accuracy and time to fix is significantly worse, especially when compared to an external GPS receiver.

When I've been in those situations, it's been hit or miss. The GPS receiver in the iPhone or iPad would work for a while, then go out completely with no fix at all, then show us on a fix that was within a 30 mile radius of our actual location. There were some situations where we'd never get a fix at all or only get an unreliable fix. Obviously based on signal quality or number of satellites acquired increased reliability, but those factors change on a regular basis with the built in GPS and stay more consistent with external receivers. The built in GPS receivers in those devices just isn't designed for the type of navigation that you'd want to use it for.

In other words, they work fine when you are driving down the road with cell and wifi location data. Away from all that, not so much. I've seen it be unreliable on multiple mobile devices, so it's not a singular device. I've seen it fail enough to justify spending the $125-some dollars on an external or fixed unit, YMMV.

OTOH I don't really trust the external units attached to a mobile phone either, I prefer dedicated devices. I'd consider using my phone for navigation a last resort for anything except driving down the road.

Last edited by Shinook; 03-06-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2013
Seaward 26rk

strandedsooner is on a distinguished road

I think some of the people are saying their ipad gps works great for them even when the 3G and wifi are turned off. Just to clarify what they were saying.
Old 03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedsooner View Post
I think some of the people are saying their ipad gps works great for them even when the 3G and wifi are turned off. Just to clarify what they were saying.
I'm aware.

It has not for me. If anything this should tell you that YMMV. I wouldn't trust it as a navigation source unless I've been to my destination and seen it work under multiple conditions, but I've personally seen it fail a number of times, enough to know I wouldn't rely on it unless I had to.

I'm also not confident that disabling 3G and wifi is a reliable test. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the devices cache location information when it's pulled, meaning the lack of 3G or wifi sources wouldn't impact the ability of the device to locate itself as it would begin the process using cached location data.
Old 03-06-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Any opinions out there about apps for an iPhone 4? I think I just downloaded Intellicast for Boaters, but I can't find it.??? What about a charting app?

I have redundant navigation gear and would only consider the iPhone for deep backup in a coastal setting where the cell coverage is generally acceptable.
Old 03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Any opinions out there about apps for an iPhone 4? I think I just downloaded Intellicast for Boaters, but I can't find it.??? What about a charting app?

I have redundant navigation gear and would only consider the iPhone for deep backup in a coastal setting where the cell coverage is generally acceptable.
I had Jeppesen for a while but it was dog slow on my iPad1, I also thought the interface was not intuitive. I wouldn't recommend it, but you can try it for free iirc.

I should note that the first gen iPad is substantially slower than later generations, so performance may be better on other devices.
Old 03-06-2013
landofrainandgray

joyinPNW is on a distinguished road

We have the Ipad II Cellular model but don't need the cell coverage for INavx as long as you download the charts before you depart. I have it loaded on my phone as well for redundancy and it's been awfully handy to pull it out when we're sitting away from the boat when we have a quick question about a route, etc. Their customer service is excellent as well. We also have Aye Tide to compliment INavx and Boating Suite for boat log/maintenance info. Love INavx and it's really intuitive and powerful. In our area (Puget Sound), you can activate the AIS and see (but not transmit...) other boats nearby, including the large behomoths!

Yes, we have all the paper charts, too...

Enjoy!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.