Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-09-2004

dshearn is on a distinguished road
Cal 33'''' running rig

hello all , i am the proud new owner of a Cal 33''. Her running rigging is in pretty bad shape and want to replace it all in one shot. According to Sailnets chart i COULD use 3/8s thew out. Following that guide line i am thinking of buying 600 foot spools. So my question is does any know HOW much i should buy to be sure i can do it all in one shot. Any comments on quantiy or brand i should purchase would be appricated.( or if any one feels it prudent to variey sizes )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2004

Cal 33'''' running rig

Edit= I appear to have two lines running forward ( jib/genny+ spin) and 2 possibly 3 halyards on the main mast)
Old 05-10-2004

39512 is on a distinguished road
Cal 33'''' running rig

First, are the existing halyards rope or wire to rope? This is important due to the sheaves (pulleys) in the mast.

3/8" is sufficient size, but unless you are familiar with splicing and whipping, it is probably better to contact Hall or Aramid or a rigger in your area. Check out Samson''s website, New England ropes, Yale cordage, Wichard and Tylaska shackles.

I think that lines should be different colors for easy identification, so I would not buy a 600'' spool. Others would disagree.

Old 05-10-2004

Cal 33'''' running rig

Thank you for your reply 39512.

That is a very good point. Only one to my knowledge is rope to wire (right now it is the only one that works...or i trust to work ) i have been useing it for the genny. I still think it needs to be replaced though. The main sail seems to be fully Wire and in good shape.

I have thought about getting a professional, but for every thing i can figure out( with help) for my self it is more money i can put in to the boat. she sure is alot more complicated rigging wise then the old hunter 25.5. there is two halyards(1 rope to wire , one rope) going to the bow and three on the main mast(one fully wire two fully rope).( heck she has 6 winches) it is defeninatly more boat then i am sailer at this point.
Old 05-10-2004

williamjchampion is on a distinguished road
Cal 33'''' running rig

I too am fond of differentiating lines w/ color. If you''re not picky on what color goes where, I bought all new running rigging for my Morgan 35 from Sailnet at about 1/3 the price I would have paid at West or BoatUS. Look at the clearance rack. Measure your existing sheets, guys, halyards, etc and add a few feet. I race this 35 year old boat on occasion and so weight aloft was a bit of an issue. I was able to downsize from 1/2 to 3/8 by going with a high tech line instead of Sta-Set. All in all saved about 15 pounds aloft. N.E. Rope is good stuff as is Yale. There are probably 3 or 4 others just as good.
Old 05-10-2004

Cal 33'''' running rig

Thanks for your reply William . I think i am sold on the multi colored lines. The fella that had the boat before me was a racer Though i am pretty sure he did not race this Cal.( judgeing by the condition i am pretty sure he wanted out this boat for a while) Now if i could just figure out why this boat has 8 whinces and 5 halyard lines. The company i am talking to is useing Buccaneer rope. this line is priced at 33 cents(white 3/8s) and 63 cents(white 7/16s) a foot depending on the line you order and for solid colors it is a few cents more. As it is right now i am going to re rig the whole boat and figure out what the other lines do later unless some one wants to guess for me :0)
Old 05-12-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Cal 33'''' running rig

I am not familiar with Buccaneer rope but judging from its price I am assuming that it some kind of inexpensive double braid polyester. Double Braid polyester is generally too stretchy for halyards and jib sheets expecially on a 33 foot masthead rigged boat. This kind of stretch becomes a safety issue. In a gust you want your sails to remain as flat as possible but when you use stretchy halyards and sheets, the stretch of the halyards allows the sails to power up adding greatly to heeling and weather helm.

At the very least you should move up to single braid parellel core line like Stayset ''X'', a larger diameter Polyester double braid (minimally 1/2" or more ideally 9/16"), or else a wire/rope combo. For that matter you would be best off with a 3/8" higher tech, low stretch line.

I would be very suspicious of a rigger who has not given you the above advice

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 05-12-2004

Cal 33'''' running rig

heya Jeff thank you for your reply. I have back read most of the responses on this message board going back for 2+ years. So i do put quite a bit weight in your advice.( it would appear you know quite well what you are talking about ) The boat is riged now with a fully wire Main and a wire to 3/8s rope combo on the Jib. I had planed to leave the main alone and duplicate the Jib line in new rope. There are 3 other halyards fully rope one going forward and two on the mast. i am guessing they are for the spiniker or some thing ( there are two spiniker poles on the boat)

You hit the nail right on the head though. IT is double braid poly . I am working threw secosouth.com . They never once tried to even "upsell" me to a better rope. MY sales rep seemed knowledgable though and i was pretty clear about the size of the boat. I guess what is missleading is that 3/8s is the rope i am takeing off the boat.

Buc-rope

http://www.bucrope.com/double_braid.htm#Double%20Braid%20Nylon
Old 05-12-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Cal 33'''' running rig

There are several aspects of your post that I want to touch on, To begin with, wire generally has lower stretch than the rope that it is paired with. Because only a short length of the rope is exposed to load, the amount of stretch in the rope becomes less critical so the rope is generally sized one or two sizes smaller when used as a tail on a wire rope halyard. Stretch is generally less of a problem with spinacker halyards as well. But mainsail and jib halyards stretch is important to the performance of the boat.

I visited the site that you referenced. I would suggest that you consider using their Tech II polyester/tecnora blend in a 3/8 diameter. One minor point, if you are using a jib in a headfoil then the stresses are a little lower and you might be able to get by with 1/2" polyester double braid. I also like to add a sacrificial cover over the line at the masthead sheave when stowed and raised and at the halyard lock or cleat. This greatlky increases the life of the line.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2004

Cal 33'''' running rig

One other minor point, you need to change the sheaves if you are switching from wire/rope to all rope halyard. The wire groove on the older style wire/rope sheaves really eat up rope very quickly.

Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.