Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-27-2013

flo617 is on a distinguished road
Hull to deck joint question

Hello,

Yesterday I came to the troubling conclusion that my core is waterlogged and rotten.
I could not feel it as the deck of my boat is narrow and the top part of the sandwich is rather heavy. The bottom part of the sandwich is very thin on the other hand. You can jump on the deck and tap it, it will feel hard. but the wood underneath is wet like the Everglades.

I will not dig deeper into details of some of the stuff I found when I removed some of the hardware but yuck.... My boat might be shot at this point but maybe there some sort of hope...

Anyway:, my question regards the hull to deck joint and the weird things I have found there. The deck is fiberglassed to the hull on the inside so that makes exploration a little hard. I took a dremel and cut a piece of the bottom of the deck including a piece of the fiberglass tabbing from the deck to the flange and this is what it looks like. So the darkbrown on the lower part seems to be the fiberglass flange. I felt it with a finger and it is very smooth hard plastic feel inside, (maybe this is where the flanged cured against the mold?) and the top brown layer is the lower part of the deck sandwich. The core or what's left of it can be seen on the extreme top part of the pic. I didn't have time to take a better photo but I'm curious as to what is that empty area. There is no trace of any material there.

So does anyone knows what that void is doing there? Should iI consider filling it with an injection of 5200 in the near future? (after a more thourough exploration)

Thanks,

Florent
Attached Thumbnails
Hull to deck joint question-hull_to_deck.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Hull to deck joint question

Most of the tabbing on a Columbia 29 was glassed over marine ply.
The 'wood' there is the ply, the rest is the apparently now delaminated 'glass over'.

It will really take a better pic to know.
Old 02-27-2013

I will this week-end.

Just for clarification, I added legend to the picture to avoid confusion
Attached Thumbnails
Hull to deck joint question-hull_to_deck2.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

while it can be fixed one of the wonderfully things about plywood core is how far it spreads water

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2013

Oh nice,

I have started extracting the mushy stuff myself. I'm not positive but I have the feeling mine is balsa as the grain seems to be all vertical and there is no trace of lamination. (Dry areas of the core seem to reinforce that hypothesis).

But my biggest question is about the empty void between the flange and the deck. I guess I'll get a partial answer in three days.

Florent

Tags
deck , hull , joint

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.