SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Propane tank adapter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/97119-propane-tank-adapter.html)

THEFRENCHA 02-28-2013 05:00 PM

Propane tank adapter

Hello all

I havé ŕ propane stove / oven connected to a large propane tank
The Home Depot type not the aluminium marine tank

I would like to use a small 1lbs canister instead but do not want to change all the lines nd hoses There must be some sort of adapter that I could use but I just cannot find any at WM or Defender

Maybe on the Internet ?

If you could help that would be great

Thanks

Captainmeme 02-28-2013 05:10 PM

Re: Propane tank adapter

You want to connect the small canister to the stove or where the large tank connected at? I'd check ebay, or here:
Propane Burner Parts, Miscellaneous Propane Burner Parts

I have no connection (pun not intended) to either places.

beachmont 02-28-2013 06:42 PM

Propane tank adapter

Check cabbalas

boatpoker 02-28-2013 07:27 PM

Sounds like another dubious propane installation.

chef2sail 02-28-2013 08:11 PM

Coleman 1-Pound Propane Tank Adapter: Camping : Walmart.com

Please do not do a direct connect of 1lb propane tank for this usage in the vessel. Propane is heavier than air and will sink to the lowest point of the boat and wait to explode. I am sure the hosing to the ouside tank probably has a solenoid shut off for a reason,,,,protection. These 1 lb tanks teak after they have been removed sometimes and the valve sticks open

THEFRENCHA 02-28-2013 08:40 PM

Hold on !

I just want to find an adapter that would fit in the knob, where it is attached to the tank
So even if using a canister, this partwill be in the locker , next to the now disconnected propane tank

I do not intend to connect directly to stove !!!!!

Thanks

OPossumTX 02-28-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 996596)
Coleman 1-Pound Propane Tank Adapter: Camping : Walmart.com

Please do not do a direct connect of 1lb propane tank for this usage in the vessel. Propane is heavier than air and will sink to the lowest point of the boat and wait to explode. I am sure the hosing to the ouside tank probably has a solenoid shut off for a reason,,,,protection. These 1 lb tanks teak after they have been removed sometimes and the valve sticks open

OHHH YESSS! I have had to discard a few because they leaked. Sometimes the little valve just doesn't cut off when the tank is removed from the fitting.

You won't hear it, you won't see it but if your nose is working, you can usually smell it.

Jiminri 02-28-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEFRENCHA (Post 996620)
Hold on !

I just want to find an adapter that would fit in the knob, where it is attached to the tank
So even if using a canister, this partwill be in the locker , next to the now disconnected propane tank

I do not intend to connect directly to stove !!!!!

Thanks

If I understand what you're looking for, Defender.com sells these and offers a couple of different brands. See, for example:

Trident Marine LPG Propane Gas Reserve Bottle Adapter

THEFRENCHA 02-28-2013 09:02 PM

Thanks to Beachmont and Jimrini

Found it on Cabelas.com and Defender
Better price on Defender!

In my case, A big tank last for years as I mostly use the microwave for coffee
I would like to see if a canister will do the season
I am on a mooring so carrying this big heavy tank for a refill is just something I could do without

Thanks

Minnewaska 03-01-2013 07:15 AM

Very common adapter, as linked by others. Most often used to have a 1lb tank on hand as a backup if you empty your large tank.

If you are trying to store the 1lb tank with your large tank, the longer thinner torch tanks sometimes fit better.