Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Faster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013

szigi is on a distinguished road
Radar mast mount from fiberglass?

Is it a weird idea? I'm planning to install an older Raymarine Pathfinder unit, which I got for peanuts as not working and repaired it. Any decent aluminum or stainless steel mast mount would probably cost much more then the whole unit did, but besides that my driving force is that I like DIY challenges.

So I am planning on creating a custom mast mount from fiberglass (probably from glassed plywood ), which would nicely be streamlined around the scanner and the mast. I've seen radar arches and mounts for powerboats from plywood or fiberglass, but never seen such a mast mount. Is there something against it? Has anyone done something like that before?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
Re: Radar mast mount from fiberglass?

I would be thinking it would be easiest to mount it on a spreader, might need to reinforce it a bit depending on design and a bit of a mount plate
Old 03-01-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Read the manual there is a chapter on how the mount & why!
Where God got it done!
Old 03-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I think the durability would be an issue.. Radars - esp older larger ones are not light. Sailboats' mast mounted radomes are subjected to much higher moments and stresses than powerboat radars. A molded glass mount would be preferred to glassed over ply, IMO.

But by the time you've engineered all that you may find buying a factory mount kit not such a bad deal, esp if you find one used.
chef2sail likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think the durability would be an issue.. Radars - esp older larger ones are not light. Sailboats' mast mounted radomes are subjected to much higher moments and stresses than powerboat radars. A molded glass mount would be preferred to glassed over ply, IMO.

But by the time you've engineered all that you may find buying a factory mount kit not such a bad deal, esp if you find one used.
Yah, that makes sense. It's easy to get a factory mount, I was just thinking about having some "unconventional" stuff on the boat. But right, that might happen to be unreliable on the long run and having the scanner falling on my head is not that fun
Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-01-2013

meteuz is on a distinguished road

I don't think a cored fiberglass mount is bad idea. You might want to consider balsa core rather than plywood to keep down the weight aloft. If properly designed and sealed where fasteners penetrate the skin, I don't think longevity is an issue. This should not be brain surgery; all you ask of it is to hold a certain amount of weight. If it were me, I would not think twice about eye balling the design.
Old 03-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteuz View Post
I don't think a cored fiberglass mount is bad idea. You might want to consider balsa core rather than plywood to keep down the weight aloft. If properly designed and sealed where fasteners penetrate the skin, I don't think longevity is an issue. This should not be brain surgery; all you ask of it is to hold a certain amount of weight. If it were me, I would not think twice about eye balling the design.
Balsa core. That is a good idea! Or it could even be cut from urethane foam panels.
Sure all holes for fasteners would be oversize, and filled with thickened epoxy, as it should be with other cored stuff. I'll make some calculations on the weight and strength, and see what comes out I've been thinking about the stress caused by movement, and the flexibility of fiberglass may even be an advantage. provided the mounting points are strong enough to not crack.
Old 03-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by szigi View Post
Balsa core. That is a good idea! Or it could even be cut from urethane foam panels.
Sure all holes for fasteners would be oversize, and filled with thickened epoxy, as it should be with other cored stuff. I'll make some calculations on the weight and strength, and see what comes out I've been thinking about the stress caused by movement, and the flexibility of fiberglass may even be an advantage. provided the mounting points are strong enough to not crack.
No sharp edges or burrs or you be sewing your mainsail. Most of these are around $250 new, and Ill bet if you call a place like Bacins in Annapolis, MD they have used ones cheaper.

As Faster mentioned, even the new ones are somewhat heavy and I dont think placing it out on a spreader is neccessarily a good idea for balance or weight. Usually they are on the mast or like ours on a radar pole on the stern of the boat. Or radar pole has a closed hoop over the radar dome that serves as the anttannae mount for the GPS, stern light,TV anatannae and also the attachement for our dinghy engine hoist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Tags
radar