SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What do you keep in your Dock Box? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/97144-what-do-you-keep-your-dock-box.html)

rhr1956 03-01-2013 11:28 AM

What do you keep in your Dock Box?

I'm going to build a wood dock box. I'm not sure what I might want to keep in it, therefore I'm also not sure of the size and shape to build it. As an example, I saw a picture of a custom box that had rod and reel holder in the lid. Naturally it was a long and skinny shape. So what do you keep in your box?

MarkSF 03-01-2013 12:15 PM

Re: What do you keep in your Dock Box?

Gas tank for the outboard, a hosepipe, a Magma BBQ, and 110V vacuum cleaner.

aelkin 03-01-2013 12:17 PM

short answer - booze.
literally.

I usually have 12 cans of beer, and a bottle of liquor in the dock box.

Also, typically my shore power cord goes in there. A folding chair or 2, a tackle box, and enough room to put my primary anchor and BBQ on race night. (too much weight at the ends of the boat, you know...)

Good thinking on your part to build the box specifically based on what's going to be in it...

Post a photo when you're done?

Cheers,

Andy

Sabreman 03-01-2013 12:35 PM

What dock box?

rhr1956 03-01-2013 12:47 PM

I can tell by your picture you keep all your stuff onboard...on the starboard side. ;-)

Tim R. 03-01-2013 12:57 PM

Lots of supplies. TP, paper towels, cleaning supplies, tools, dog food, etc. Basically stuff we can live without for a couple weeks at a time. We purchase supplies at wholesale stores so the extras go in the box.

I would never allow booze to be stored in my dock box. I keep that on the boat for easy access!

Don't forget to check with your marina. They may have size or shape limitations on your box. Some do.

Seaduction 03-01-2013 01:07 PM

Just stuff the kids in there when they're bad.:laugher

Minnewaska 03-01-2013 01:28 PM

Our marina does not permit dock boxes. I know I would just fill it with crap. All humans expand to fill the space they are allotted.

Nice place to keep winterizing and routine maintenance supplies that you don't need aboard.

CapnSantiago 03-01-2013 01:39 PM

Everything I don't need on the boat on a daily basis and/or don't need to have when I leave the dock.

chef2sail 03-01-2013 01:49 PM

Polishes, Teak oils, Wax. Ultra spare dock lines, extra shore pwoer cord ( one already on the boat. I have them all aranged in different sized milk crates. Also have a dremel, an extra hose, and of all things a small electric power washer. Oour club requires similar dock boxes for all of them and they are on overhandgs at the head of our slips.

Some of my dockmates have targets drawn on them as they have hit them a few times. If you do that twice in our club you get awarded the skunk burgee which you must promenently display under the club bergee until someone else hots their dockbox or performs and extroadinary menuever when docking thier boat.

The power washer is great for getting the dirt out of the non skid, hitting the water line scum but you must keep it away from the teak and the cannvas

Since our is out on the dock we have two drain holes in it so that should the water ever reach over the dock, it wont bust loose ( it has 4 times Sandy, Irene). It also makes it easy to clean and drain when washing it out.