Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-03-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission oil change solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
So MedSailor, do you have a link for a verified M10 hose barb with a 1.0 pitch? I've looked, at McMaster and the usual spots, and found nothing.
Nope, and when you say you looked for one and couldn't find one, I believed you. I get the impression you researched this. Also when ShockT said:

"If it were me I would have either tracked down a brass elbow with the correct thread, or failing that, had an oversized fitting machined down and re-threaded to fit."

I thought, "nope, paying a machine shop to custom make a fitting doesn't fit with either my DIY frame of mind or my "cheapskate" ideals.

All I was saying with my post was that I liked ShockT's recommendation of using a 90deg fitting for boats with tighter access and I recommended using a fitting EXACTLY like the one you used but with the 90deg elbow in it (with the JB weld) for those who have a tight spot. Basically I liked SchockT's variation on your idea, but the picture of the fitting he posted looked like it would be harder to glue one. That's all.

Nice job, and definitely a candidate for the "low buck project" thread.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road

No worry Med, that does seem like the best path forward. IF I lack space for the current build, then I would look for a 90 degree barb instead. As for cheap projects, the bolt was $.40 and the hose barb $2.49. I've got the hose already.

I'll resurrect this post, because it will probably now die a natural death, after I do the install and can report on whether I had any troubles. Thanks for the ideas and conversations fellow sailors!

Old 03-08-2013
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road

An update and conclusion:

Turns out after making my own device as some of you had seen on my blog, that I was able to find an actual brass hose barb with the proper threads. Walbro fuel pumps use an M10 hose barb with a 1.0 pitch, and I found it at a performance auto parts store. The part number is Walbro# 128-3014. If you google this part number, you will pull up places to get it.

I've updated my blog with pictures of it installed, and you can see this at the same place as the previous link: Stories of Aeolus- Our Gulf 32 Pilothouse: Transmission oil change solution found-Updated

It was fun to make my own device, but this is a much shorter and more elegant solution. Anyone with a Twin Disc MG 360 can now install this barb to enable vacuuming the oil from their tranny bottom. Problem solved.