SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Camping in a (trailered) boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/97194-camping-trailered-boat.html)

magnocain 03-02-2013 11:56 PM

Camping in a (trailered) boat

Is it possible to cook in and/or sleep in a sailboat that is on it's trailer?

This question popped into my head when I was tent camping near a beach (Lawson's Landing, a campground behind sandunes withing walking distance to the water), with my trailered skiboat parked as a windbreak. Could I tow a sailboat on a trailer, and use it as a makeshift camper to sleep and cook in? I would sail it during the day. That way I would only have to tow one vehicle to the beach campground.

I am wondering if there will be harm to the hull of the boat, because the trailer puts different stresses on the hull then when it is in the water. The sailboat that I am thinking about doing this to is a 1981 Capital Yacht Neptune 24.

Thank You.

Lake Superior Sailor 03-03-2013 12:08 AM

Re: Camping in a (trailered) boat

I do till the harbor master get her in! He doesn't work in the rain!...Dale

Faster 03-03-2013 12:56 AM

I think as long as you don't do calisthenics in the morning you'd be OK..

Friends trailered a F-25C tri to Florida to go to the Bahamas a few years back, with that plan - sleeping in the boat on the way down. Worked fine until they ran into an RV park that wouldn't permit it..go figure.

MarkSF 03-03-2013 03:30 AM

It's possible if the trailer is fastened to a car... my Wayfarer trailerable would tip over backwards if I stood at the stern and the trailer wasn't hitched to the car. It's a simple matter of overcoming the tongue weight....which apparently I do.

DonScribner 03-03-2013 08:17 AM

Yes, it is. There is a fellow and his wife on another forum that have done many times as they travel from one south wet lake to another. Balance and rolling would be the problems to overcome.

FinallySailing 03-03-2013 08:46 AM

Yes, of course. Done it on mine even without the trailer being hitched onto the car. I always put wedges (or a block of wood) behind the wheels. Only have done it on hard on the marina which itself was fenced in. Wouldn't do it by the roadside, as I can't lock the companionway hatch from the inside.

Squidd 03-03-2013 09:19 AM

I do it quite often...My boat is a little bigger and I leave it at the Marina mast up on the trailer a couple hours away from home...

Sometimes if I get up late on Friday I'll just "camp" on the hard and launch the next morning... Also been known to just camp out the weekend at the marina if weather not condusive to sailing...

When I brought the boat home to Wisconsin from Washington DC I used it as a camper on the road trip...

TQA 03-03-2013 11:53 AM

Did this many times when I had my Jaguar 22 [Catalina copy]. As other have said keep it coupled up to avoid tilting.

dabnis 03-03-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 997610)
It's possible if the trailer is fastened to a car... my Wayfarer trailerable would tip over backwards if I stood at the stern and the trailer wasn't hitched to the car. It's a simple matter of overcoming the tongue weight....which apparently I do.

Unless you are a really big person it sounds like you may need a little bit more tongue weight. I think some trailer mfrs recommend about 10 to 15% of the total trailer weight be on the tongue. But, if it doesn't sway in cross winds or under braking, so be it.

Paul T

hellosailor 03-03-2013 11:00 PM

I think I'd invest in a set of wheel chocks and jackstands or RV levelers and make sure the trailer was firmly braced before hopping aboard for the night. That's a cheap way to make sure there aren't any unpleasant surprises.