Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Micron CSC vs Micron Extra --- Mid-Chesapeake

I stay in the water and paint every 2 years, generally mid-summer. On my last boat I used Micron CSC Extra (which I'm guessing is not made anymore) the last few times (I forget before that) and was semi-pleased with the results. Toward the end some scrubbing was required, and if I didn't do it, I got slow, paint built-up, and there were some adhesion problems (spots under pads that weren't preped, I think).

My current boat was originally Micron CSC. I then used Micron 66 (2 coats lasted 24 months), which was the best paint I have used (little build-up, clean bottom, no adhesion problems). I followed that with MIcron Extra, after postings scared me away from Micron 66. But it's not doing as well as the Micron 66.

So, what is the local knowledge re. Micron CSC vs. Micron Extra? Micron CSC claims a harder surface, which sounds like more build-up to me, and in a Practical Sailor test, Micron CSC was rated a tick lower.

----

I'm really thinking of going back to Micron 66. I stay in Deale, MD in a marina that is at local Bay salinity (little freshwater flow into the creek). I'm told that the salinity soon after launching is critical, and the last time I immediatly left on a trip around the Delmarva. Additionally, the Bay is more saline in late summer. The local Interlux rep told me that folks that use their boats a lot, scrub, and minimize build-up have been successful at mid-Bay, while others have had failures.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Micron CSC vs Micron Extra --- Mid-Chesapeake

PDQ,

I used Micron Extra with good results up to 3 years ago and switched over to Ultima 60.
For us the reason was that it sloughed off at a slightly lower hull speed. I keep by boat in the water 3 years out of 4. It is going ontop its thrid year and the bottom as stay clean with great results. I do have a diver go down in June and September also, but he has said the hull is clean and only takes 10 minutes..the prop is waht gets the growth too.

I am also in the mid Chessie in Rock Creek the end of the Patapsco and we spend 3 weeks in the Atlantic Ocean/LI Sound.

FYI Defender has a killer sale right now on Ultima 60 with aRebate
T37Chef and msmith10 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-05-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I have had great results with Pettit SR40/SR60 as c2s mentions. SR 60 does note it should be applied by a "professional".
Old 03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
PDQ,

I used Micron Extra with good results up to 3 years ago and switched over to Ultima 60.
For us the reason was that it sloughed off at a slightly lower hull speed. I keep by boat in the water 3 years out of 4. It is going ontop its thrid year and the bottom as stay clean with great results. I do have a diver go down in June and September also, but he has said the hull is clean and only takes 10 minutes..the prop is waht gets the growth too.

I am also in the mid Chessie in Rock Creek the end of the Patapsco and we spend 3 weeks in the Atlantic Ocean/LI Sound.

FYI Defender has a killer sale right now on Ultima 60 with aRebate
I was also leaning toward Ultima SR-60. I'll check Defender.

And what is "professional" about the application? I see the additional precautions about effective mixing, coating thickness and prep; all easily done.

Old 03-05-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

I'm conflicted about what to do about bottom paint this year. We used black West Marine PCA Gold (supposedly same as Ultima SR-40) 2 seasons ago putting 2 coats over a coat of Hydrocoat, which was over an unknown blue ablative. As the boat sits now only the rudder is showing a fair amount of blue. There are a couple of spots on the hull where the blue is showing but they are small and seem perhaps more related to some spotty adhesion rather than wearing away.

I'm thinking I will likely scuff the entire bottom, paint the rudder, touch up the thin spots and use the rest of one gallon to paint a band about 18" down from the waterline with the growth tends to be the worst and call it good for the next two seasons.

Am I setting myself up for a headache? I don't want a thick paint build up, but I don't want a furry hull either.
Old 03-05-2013

Personally (assuming you are on the Chesapeake and haul every winter) I think you're setting up for a furry bottom. Hauling costs more than the paint. But then again, I stay in the water and like it to go 2 years.

I haven't found paint build-up to be a problem, if I stretch to 2 years and scrub once or twice near the end. My last boat had 30 years of paint on it without a serious sanding and still managed 15 knots in a 12 knots breeze during pre-sale sea trials (very light cat with chute up, of course). Fast as she ever was. But the point is there was little build-up. Always 2 coats for 2 years.

I think a single coat of ablative paint each year is reasonably safe from a build-up stand point. But heck, the worst that can happen is a furry season and you will have learned something about your boat and your local waters. Better than listen to blokes on a forum, sometimes.

Old 03-05-2013

Do you have a diver go down at all during the seaon. That would mean you are expecting four seasons out of the Black PCA Gold over much of your hull.

I ight try one more year and do what you said as long as i had it dove on twice.

Then next year take all the old off so you dont build continual layers. Do you have a epoxy barrier under it all?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-05-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

@pdq...
I looked up the on line info on SR60, I see nothing now that states it should be applied by a professional, sorry...I just recall reading that on the can when I purchased it. I have no idea why, this is the only thing I found even related "Utilizes the same proven formula as Ultima Pro from our Pro Coatings line" LOL
Also, it seems Defender is still selling Interlux CSC, 66, and Extra

@Dave, you sure you used SR60, I used SR40

Does anyone know if these paints expire? I have a can of SR40 thats been sitting indoors for three years, I want to use it this Spring

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-05-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

5 quarts of micron extra on a Cal 29 hull

After season one and a full on aggressive powerwash to leave the stink at the boat yard

After season two with a second full on aggressive powerwash the barrier coat just started showing

The paint got a light wipe down with a washcloth every two weeks in high growth season

I live in the worst barnacle larva area on the planet right by the Northport sewer plant outflow which passes my boat every tide cycle

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
@pdq...
I looked up the on line info on SR60, I see nothing now that states it should be applied by a professional, sorry...I just recall reading that on the can when I purchased it. I have no idea why, this is the only thing I found even related "Utilizes the same proven formula as Ultima Pro from our Pro Coatings line" LOL
Also, it seems Defender is still selling Interlux CSC, 66, and Extra

@Dave, you sure you used SR60, I used SR40

Does anyone know if these paints expire? I have a can of SR40 thats been sitting indoors for three years, I want to use it this Spring
Positive I used the Ultima SR60.I just looked at my invoicefrom Defender from 2 years ago.I didnt apply it myself,Youngs Marina did, I supplied the paint

Defender SR60 on sale for $208 plus a $20 rebate
Defender SR40 on sales for $179 plus a $10 rebate

Ultima SR40 has more copper than Micron Extra

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-05-2013 at 11:18 PM.