SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Ablative anti-fouling for freshwater (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/97293-ablative-anti-fouling-freshwater.html)

benesailor 03-05-2013 07:02 PM

Ablative anti-fouling for freshwater

Can anyone recommend a good ablative for freshwater? Great Lakes.
Something to keep the zebra mussels and slime off.

jimmyb514 03-05-2013 08:48 PM

Re: Ablative anti-fouling for freshwater

I'm sorry, I can't answer your question. I'm in the same boat (pun intended) :) down here on Candlewood Lake in Ct., but I am interested in the responses you get. Good luck....

MikeOReilly 03-05-2013 09:25 PM

I've used a couple of Interlux ablatives in my time up here on Huron and Superior: BottomKote and CSC. Both seem to work just fine. Many sailors -- more racers than cruisers -- use a hard paint like VC17.

itsaboat 03-05-2013 09:42 PM

Ablative anti-fouling for freshwater

I'm a freshwater sailor and looking at a bottom job soon. Sailors on our lake like VC17 or Silver Bullet.

I'm crewing on a boat for Sunday races this winter on a Santana 25 with Silver Bullet applied this fall. We are second so far in the fleet and beat an Alerion 28 after handicap last race.

I'm thinking of putting it on my boat, but I'd be happy to get other opinions.

msmith10 03-05-2013 09:55 PM

If I ever do a bottom job and get rid of the old ablative, I'll go to VC17. It's just easier to get a racing finish than with an ablative. However, as ablatives go, I've had good look with both Micron CSC and Micron Extra.
This year I'll probably change to Pettit Optima as it supposedly gives better slough at lower speed.
The Micron is definitely a multi-season paint. I've learned that I can give the boat a light wet sanding using fine drywall screen in the spring and only have to touch up spots where the base comes through. Besides saving paint, what I really like about this is that I end up with a much smoother finish than I can get from just putting on new paint. I've never been able to get a race-smooth finish using an ablative.

Mark1948 03-05-2013 10:32 PM

Many boats out of Milwaukee use vc17

MSN2Travelers 03-06-2013 08:59 AM

Another vote for VC17. Effective, easy to maintain & long lasting.

benesailor 03-06-2013 07:02 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd go with VC17; but, i just put this bottom on 2 1/2 years ago. Looking to do a touch up. I don't think i need a real aggressive ablative for the great lakes as compared to south florida (original bottom job).
I'd like to stretch this bottom job out till they find a more eco friendly paint that actually works.
Just looking for input from people that use a soft ablative in the great lakes.

Ritchard 03-06-2013 07:46 PM

On Lake Ontario I use Bottomkote XXX. It's easy, and certainly quick enough to apply.

msmith10 03-06-2013 07:53 PM

VC17 isn't compatible over ablatives, also. You'd need to remove all old paint. It isn't worth it until you need a new bottom.