Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint Restrictions - Lake Galena, PA?

I picked up an Albacore back in the fall, and will start restoring it in the next few weeks, assuming the weather breaks. The plan is to keep this boat in Peace Valley Park on Lake Galena in Chalfont, PA. I'm torn between their wet and dry mooring options. Basically, the wet option is a mooring ball a few feet out, while the dry mooring is a tether in the ground on the beach. I'll preface my question by saying that I know even less about freshwater boat maintenance than I do about saltwater boat maintenance. If the boat is "dry moored" (i.e., beached) do I still need bottom paint? It makes sense that I'd need it if the boat was always in the water, but I wasn't sure about this case.

Assuming I need bottom paint, does anyone know if Bucks County has restrictions on the paint types that are used? Even a pointer on where to go to get the information would be helpful. Doing a search on the subject gets a LOT of false-positive hits.

Thanks!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom Paint Restrictions - Lake Galena, PA?

If you aren't keeping the boat in the water 24/7, I wouldn't worry too much about bottom paint. As to the requirements for the paint should you choose to paint, you might just give the park a call and ask: (215) 822-8608

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-06-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I used to windsurf there back in the 80s and 90s.

You do not need anything if dry moored. Most will wear off while sliding it into the water anyhow.

For the wet option I doubt they will let you use any bottom paint. The good news is that you really do not need any. You might get a little scum on the bottom after a few months but it will scrub off easily if you are concerned about it. I have kept many boats in fresh water lakes all summer with no noticeable problems.

As for the choice, is the boat light enough to drag up and down the mud there(which is pretty mucky)? and the lake level will go up and down based on rainfall throughout the season. Take the wet if it will be a PITA to drag the boat to the water every time.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 03-06-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

Apparently this is a small boat, daysailer. I agree with Donna. If you dry store it you don't need bottom paint. If you keep it on a ball, you'll need to scrub the bottom every couple of weeks. Either way I wouldn't paint it.
Old 03-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Thanks everyone. Yes, this is a 14' daysailer (see Home | United States Albacore Association). I hope it will be a fun way for my kids to learn how to sail, and something that they will more easily be able to control than a 25-30' sailboat. I am leaning toward trying to get one of the "dry" moorings so she'll be up on a beach and then I won't have to worry about the slime. Launching/retrieving may be a bit more of a pain, but it seems like it would be worth the extra effort. You can see the park's boating facilities here: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-06-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Jim, another advantage of the dry option is letting it drain when it rains.

Looks like a fun little boat.

Your kids will certainly learn how to read the wind as it can swirl in circles on that lake. It does get straighter the harder the wind blows. I used drive the extra 30 minutes to go to Nockamixon for more consistent winds.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 03-06-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Tim,
I thought about Nockamixon, but the plan is for this boat to be close so we can sail some week nights and still get my boys home by bedtime. Nockamixon makes that a bit harder. Peace Valley is also nice because there aren't a lot of other boaters to worry about. If Peace Valley gets too bad, though, I may consider moving up there next season.
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.