Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Re: Scaffold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeilfanaat View Post
My marina would have a conniption if I locked anything to the jack stands, so I'd exercise some caution with that approach.
I know what you mean. My boat yard won't let you lift a finger to work on your boat. Everyplace has different rules. I've been in yards where anything goes, and others were there are all kinds of rules, and in my current yard rules to maximize revenue.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I do pretty good with the right size step ladder as it is a ONCE a year project of short duration

Even when i spent MONTHS doing the Alwgrip on the topsides there was really no correct height for all the different parts of the job and i just worked out a way to work efficiently with the step ladder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
Hillenme, Have you considered an "aviation style" maintenance stand with locking wheels that you can move around the boat as needed? You might try "borrowing" one not in use at the local airport maintenance shop or try your local "Rent-All".
Interesting suggestion. I actually work in the aircraft maintenance industry and hadn't considered that.
Old 03-08-2013

zeilfanaat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
I know what you mean. My boat yard won't let you lift a finger to work on your boat. Everyplace has different rules. I've been in yards where anything goes, and others were there are all kinds of rules, and in my current yard rules to maximize revenue.
The issue is not so much doing your own work, as it is using a jack stand for something it wasn't intended to do (i.e., secure anything other than your boat). My yard periodically checks the stands; I'd want to make sure they have easy access if for some reason a stand needs to be moved or adjusted.

They generally let you do any work you want, as long as you follow basic rules for dust and spill control etc.
Old 03-08-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My yard periodically checks the stands; I'd want to make sure they have easy access if for some reason a stand needs to be moved or adjusted.

Our yard let's folks store ladders on their cradles, but I actually wish they required people to lock them. My boat was broken into several weeks ago when someone climbed up on the Catalina next to me (using their ladder) and then jumped across to mine. It was a terribly ballsy move consdiering the boat was covered in ice and 3 feet of snow, unfortunately instead of splitting his head open, the vandal survived and kicked the lock off my companion way.
Old 03-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My marina would have a conniption if I locked anything to the jack stands, so I'd exercise some caution with that approach.
I see from your following post that this is for safety and convenience. Mine is lying on the ground, with a flexible bicycle lock through it and around the foot of a stand. You have to lock it to something or it will walk.

Before spring, I move it across the property and lock it to a fence, so they can launch me without it getting in the way. The walk is quite far to be a very practical place to leave it all winter, but could be done if they were inclined to the same conniption. Thankfully, they are not.

Some years ago, I was at a yard that really had no other practical place to secure it, so I just removed the lock about 3 days prior to launch. When I went back 4 days later, it was gone. This yard literally has hundreds of boats on the hard over the winter, so I started walking around. Sure enough, about 100 yards away, my ladder was extended and tied to the gunnel of someone else's boat. They weren't there, but it was left like they owned it.

What possess people to do this? It's incredibly common. Like its all community property. Ask, and I'm happy to share. Don't and I may stick an ice pick in your tire. (okay....deep soothing breaths........)

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-08-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

The Little Giant ladder comes to mind:
Little Giant Ladder Work Plank | Work Plank Accessory