Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-08-2013

captainmurph is on a distinguished road
Hood 705 Continuous Line Furling System Question

I've seen a few posts on this old (1995) system that is on my Cal 30 and wonder why conversion to a single line would be an issue without modification?

With all of my experiences with single line, I would simply maintain tension on both furler line and sheet as I rolled the sail out or in.

With a continuous loop furler, it would seem that you would do the same thing but use a different "side" of the loop depending on whether your were unfurling or furling.

If this is correct, why couldn't you just replace the loop line with a single line which would go into the drum when you were pulling on the sheet to unfurl and come out of the drum when you were furling?

I haven't sailed this boat yet and don't want to pull the shrink wrap for another month or so, but wanted to make plans on replacing sheets, halyards and other control lines before launch this spring.

Anyone with a 705 or 810 care to comment? By the way, although I have seen much written to the contrary by posters here and elsewhere, the brochure for this system clearly indicates that it is not a simple furl/unfurl design but one that will allow reefing through nearly infinite sail size and shape by stopping in between.

Murph
S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Hood 705 Continuous Line Furling System Question

I have the Hood Stoboom so i understand the system

The problem would be making a drum that would hold enough line as it takes a LOT MORE line and space than you would think

On my headsail Profurl for example i amd limited to 5/16 line and it still just fits and going up to a 3/8 which is much better on the hands is NOT even close to working

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

These types of furlers don't really have a 'drum'.. the furling line goes through a toothed sheave that kind of looks like a self tailing winch top.. really just a half turn around and back.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The system does allow reefing when new. As the system wears the teeth on the tiny "drum" (it's more like the self tailing part of a self tailing winch) wear down and can no longer make a good bite on the reefing line. Even with a lot of tension on both sides of the loop the lines will slip on the reefing teeth and the sail will get larger and larger. On my system (new in 1986 when the boat was manufactured) it was hopeless to use it for reefing.

Hood has a nice upgrade program for these old systems. I replaced my 705 with a H253 Seafurl 5 for a very good price. This is a much nicer furler that works like a Harken Mark IV, with the furling taking place at the head and tack and allowing the foil to be pulled around only by the luff of the sail. This makes a much tighter wrap then most furling systems. It also has a narrow aerodynamic extrusion that helps sail shape. My final price was about half of what a Harken Mark IV cost.

There is a cheaper upgrade option that they will offer as well that is similar to a Harken Cruise called the "707 SL Furler".

To get prices for these options email them asking for the drum upgrade kit for a 705 furler. They don't offer that anymore, but will talk to you about how to get a new furler.
Old 03-10-2013

Liquorice is on a distinguished road

Sorry, don't want to highjacked the thread, but, Tommays, regarding your Profurl and 5/16" - 3/8" line.
I have a Profurl with 5/16" line.
The drum fill up quickly and yes 3/8" would be too much. But if you de-core that portion of the line that goes around the drum and leave the the core in the end you pull and put through the winch and jammer, you'll find it takes up a lot less room on the drum and the cover is plenty strong enough to furl the genoa.
Works on any furler; very common set-up!
Sam :-)
Old 03-10-2013

captainmurph is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your help. I think the plan of action is to use my system when I launch and see how much wear is present and whether I can hold a sail position.

If not, upgrading with Hood seems to be a good plan.

Murph
Old 03-10-2013
always busy with sailing

There is a hack for reefing that you can use in the meantime in emergency situations. At the top of the drum there is a shackle that holds the tack of the sail. You could reef the sail to your desired position, then tie that shackle off to a bow cleat with strong and low stretch line. Note that this means going forward again to furl the sail, but it will prevent the drum from slipping.

You can feel the teeth to tell if it is going to work for reefing or not, without having to wait and go out in 20+kt winds to test it. They need to be sharp and not rounded over to slip. If I remember correctly the drum is anodized aluminum, and where they have been rounded over they should now be shiny raw aluminum.

My new Hood furler came with decored line for the furling line.
Old 08-20-2014

Stegs is on a distinguished road

Alex, I Don't want to hijack the post but I can't do PM's yet. Glad to hear that you like the Seafurl H253. I currently have a hood ld810 (which was upgraded years ago to a single line) on my legend 37. I am planning on replacing it. It is most likely the same vintage as my boat and is not performing well because of age. Max boat length is either 33 or 34 but Marty at Hood Pompenette (sp)thinks it will work well with an additional foil section. Have to check the head stay dia. and then get back with her. I have been looking for reviews on installation, warrantee and performance but I haven't been able to find much. Thanks for your comments on it. It's real low price had me apprehensive about it because you get what you pay for. Thanks again. Dave
Old 08-20-2014
always busy with sailing

I've been using it for almost two years now (of sailing 1-2 times per week year round) and am a very happy customer. The furling action is very smooth, sail changes are easy, and quality seems to be very good.