Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Topsides going from 'White' to flag blue

Apparently you guys have months to stand in the driveway because a hand powered long board has to be about the slowest most labor intensive device ever made

Once your trying to fair large areas of fiberglass it is some tough stuff

Even when i was using the air powered long board it was forever and a little bit more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Apparently you guys have months to stand in the driveway because a hand powered long board has to be about the slowest most labor intensive device ever made.
So... what's the solution? I was just planning on patching the scratches, and going over it with a RA sander, prime, repeat...
Old 03-12-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

The solution is to do a paint job that makes sense from a time and money standpoint

You will absolutely never get that hull fair enough so that flag blue does NOT show every imperfection

The filling thing is in it self problematic in that you have this giant twisting hunk of fiberglass that at some point in the future is going to eject any filler that was not done just exactly perfect

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Apparently you guys have months to stand in the driveway because a hand powered long board has to be about the slowest most labor intensive device ever made

Once your trying to fair large areas of fiberglass it is some tough stuff

Even when i was using the air powered long board it was forever and a little bit more
It's what you have to do if you want a Flag Blue or black hull to look really good - there's no easy way to accomplish it. That's one of the reasons most boats are white. An air board sander is a poor choice for this job - it's designed to flatten surfaces like a belt sander. It's far too rigid for compound curves. You'd be better off using a big rotary with a thick, medium soft foam pad.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Using a RO sander is likely to leave highs and lows, esp if you're not careful how you try to take off high filler spots... don't ask how I know this....

I agree totally that if you want flag blue to look good the hull has to be PERFECT, esp if you're able to achieve a high gloss finish. You could try something like Whisper Grey.. a more forgiving colour but different enough to stand out amongst the other bleach bottles..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-12-2013
Sailing Chance

SailingChance is on a distinguished road

We're actually in the middle of this exact task right now! First, we decided to lighten ours just a tad using the white Brightsides we had for our deck. We've been roll and tipping with another roller, not a brush and have had great results so far. We're two coats in right now. We'll likely need to do 4 coats as it's hard to cover the white evenly. If you haven't started yet I would recommend you tint the primer. Get your hull as fair as possible and sand the hell out of it - dark paint shows any imperfections. Our boat is in Florida and we've been painting only when it's 60+ degrees and winds less than 9mph. Word of advice, don't use any accelerator as Brightsides is chemically designed to dry slower and spread out to avoid the orange peel look - or so Interlux told us.

I'll post pics for you once she's done. We've been taking them after each coat. We must be doing something right as a bunch of boaters have stopped by and told us the paint job looks great already.

Good luck!

Kelley
www.sailingchance.com
facebook.com/sailingchance
Old 03-12-2013

gerbo is on a distinguished road

I'm also planning on painting the topsides this spring. Curious if anyone has used Interlux Perfection. Is the application the same as Brightsides? I'm going to keep the hull, deck and cockpit white. The non-skid areas will be light gray or blue.
Old 03-12-2013

Antibes is on a distinguished road

I did this project 4 years ago with Perfection and was very happy with the results. Yes you can see imperfections when you get close, but she looks beautiful from a distance. I removed all hardware and did the deck and topsides in one spring project. Had the boat inside and had three people to do the job. After weeks of prep work each coat of roll and tip took 45 minutes to do a 28' boat. Used scaffolding on wheels to move the 'tipper'.
Old 03-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

.. For many of us, I suspect that 'good from afar, but far from good' will probably do!
Barquito likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

One of my earliest lessons in boat maintenance was that boats should look good from 10', not 1' away. Those of us with high intensity OCD want our boats to look as good as cars.

It's a virtually impossible goal with a sailboat. A little more possible with power since they can be kept in boathouses.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.