Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Topsides going from 'White' to flag blue

Barquito, your color scheme sounds a lot like mine (minus the red bottom). This is Awlgrip ... instead of Flag Blue, it's Carinthia Blue (a little bluer than blacker).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful.... how about detailing your prep time & efforts..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-12-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

As politely as i can what big thing besides a house have you painted before ?

I can design you a completely custom one off frame and fabricate it and paint it perfectly in my garage with and hours help from my mitering machine

And when i say paint i am talking as close to flawless as a one off can be

Now as good as i am at that painting a mast with Perfection was a humbling experience at the i never painted anything before in my life

The paint and methods and project scale SO DIFFERENT

You just went from a 6 x 6 work area to a 6 x 40 foot work area

Now you have to work OUTDOORS with the bugs and dirt and humidity and temperature changes and about 37 other ands i cant think of right now

And not the least of which is now your work area is a about 14 x 35 feet or about 10 longer than your boat and BUGS LOVE THE PAINT

There is more time in that paint then the complete refit

Absolutely every step now goes from hours to weeks except for the few hours it takes to roll & tip the paint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

For Tiger Lily. The hull took on-and-off from end of February to May. I wiped (hand buffed is more accurate) the entire boat in MEK. Then I palm sanded not quite to the primer (although the primer showed in some places). Then I put on a layer of gray primer. Sanded that ... twice. Then the first layer of Awlgrip Carinthia Blue; Sanded again (400 grit). A second layer of Awlgrip within a few days; Sanded again. Then the final layer. There are drips and runs here and there. But only I see them. And to see them, you need to put your face at least two feet from the surface. The cove striping is masked gold Awlgrip ... as is the warm white boot stripe. The vinyl lettering is from BoatUS. Prep time (sanding etc) = 85%, Painting 10%, Vinyls 5%

Last edited by dvuyxx; 03-12-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Tiger Lily came out beautifully!! Great job.

I'm betting that Carinthian Blue looks a lot lighter in person than the posted pic. Its one shade lighter than Flag Blue, but the pic looks darker, like Midnight or Magestic.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-13-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

Yeah, your right. That picture looks darker than in person, but it really depends on the light. This picture (below) is probably a little more accurate ... if not exaggerated in the other direction. The one drawback that I found with the Carinthia blue ... is that Awlgrip doesn't offer a touch-up kit for it. The closest is Flag Blue.

John B likes this.
Old 03-13-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As politely as i can what big thing besides a house have you painted before ?
I painted the deck and topsides of my Catalina 22, and the deck of our Bristol 27. Took a really long time. I used Brightsides for the C22 and Perfection for the deck of the B27. However, all of this has been in white, or light colors. I really don't care about making it perfect. I am confident that the B27 will not have much waviness because it is a thick hull. I just want to get rid of most of the scratches.

Oh, and I spray painted a beater bike day-glow orange. It was awsome.
Old 03-14-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

I am a former Awlgripper, Awlgrip teacher both spray and roll and tip. You can get spectacular results rolling and tipping. If you know what you are doing. You can get acceptable results as a novice, too.

There is very good advice in this thread.

Dark colors require as near perfect a surface as possible. Long boards are the way to fair the hull. I make a couple from plywood that will fit the available abrasive strips. Kirfing the backsides of the plywood will make them as flexible as you need. Not too flexible, they need to stay flat against the hull. Having handles that are comfortable is possible, too. They will show you the imperfections and they will take time and effort. How close to perfect do you need? Follow with at least 320, preferably 400 to "polish" the prime coat. Good technique with a dual action orbital sander using a soft pad will give you a tacked surface that has a shine to it. Over do the tack off cleaning before you apply the top coat. Invest in a couple of gallons of alcohol and some lint free material to wipe with after you have washed the hull with mild soap and water and let it dry. When you think it is dust free do it again. White wipes for a dark color primer so you can see how much dust you are still moving around on the surface.

I am finally going to paint my flaking gelcoat this year. My boat was re gelcoated white over its original flag blue by a po. I kind of like the comfort we enjoy when a mishap has the potential of marking the hull. O-well! The Admiral will help and it will be fun having a "new" boat.

We are going from white / blue to red. Since my gelcoat is flaking off it will have to be removed or most of it will. I used to be able to hold onto a wildcat for an hour at a time. We will see if that strength is at least partially still here. I will grind the gelcoat down and keep it as fair as i can. I have done a lot of this. Good scaffolding is essential. If you can, get enough scaffold to go the length of the boat. It not only makes the job easier but safer and results in a better job.

I have a free source of excellent two part high build epoxy in red so my primer will be the same color as my topcoat. This is a huge help in both topside coverage and future scratches. If you do use an epoxy primer tint it so the contrast between your topcoat and the primer is minimal. Long boards! Yes!

We will roll and tip the top coat. I haven't decided which paint yet. Brightside is a possibility. If I get a fair /polished red prime surface I could just clear it! Ha!

A tip on tipping. You need to keep the wet edge. A helper is important if you can find one (The Admiral)? It isn't a disaster if your first coat is a training / practice opportunity. Don't roll a lot at a time 12 to 14 inches of rolling then tip then roll then tip. Try to keep the paint film thickness constant. You can apply a little pressure with the roller to spread it out uniformly. Roll up and down the hull and tip horizontally. The eye is more forgiving of horizontal marks than vertical ones.

When you roll there should be small bubbles. They shouldn't sag. They may dance a bit. You knock them down tipping. Getting the paint's viscosity correct is the key. Each paint is a little different and weather conditions (temp and humidity) make a difference. There is a device you can buy at a paint store called a viscosity cup. It allows you to reproduce the "perfect" mix of paint and reducer every time. Remember paint is a mixture of several solvents. They "boil off" just standing in the pot so pay attention to viscosity changes. A Zahn #2 viscosity cup or its equivalent measuring 17 seconds is my ideal for white Brightside enamel here in July in Maine! Ha!

Don't be intimidated. Resist the urge to remove the bugs. Let the paint dry first. Enjoy!

Down
Faster, Barquito and SJ34 like this.

Last edited by downeast450; 03-14-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2013

John B is on a distinguished road

I am going to paint my topside this spring also your posts help.
Old 03-19-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Down - Could you expand on the long boarding a little. What kind of imperfections is this stage aimed at? Is is the small stuff like what would look like scratches or a rough texture, or is it to beat down long waviness, like what would be produced from a hard spot at a stringer or bulkhead?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.