Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013

cas206 is on a distinguished road
Temporary Screw/Bolt Hole Sealant

I'm removing wood and hardware from the deck and cabin of my 30+ year old fiberglass boat. Plan is to do the epoxy treatment (drill and fill) before re-installing stuff. Until then, I'm looking for advice on what to squeeze in the holes. I've seen information on avoiding silicone as it can prevent epoxy bonds. I've also seen information about the permanent nature of 5200. I don't want to cause my self a problem later on. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road
Re: Temporary Screw/Bolt Hole Sealant

Modeling clay or Butyl tape work well for short term, if it is going to be longer I would consider a Polysulfide like Boatlife.

Capt. Wayne canning, AMS
Old 03-10-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Don't inject anything -- instead, buy a roll of aluminum tape (you can find it in the HVAC section of Lowes/Home Depot) and tear off small pieces to cover the holes. Although it has a tenacious adhesive, unlike duct tape, Gorilla tape, or masking tape, the aluminum tape won't leave a sticky mess behind and it cleans off very easily. It weathers very well. I've got a couple of screw holes I covered with it over 18 mos. ago, and the tape's still doing its job like a champ.
Faster and arf145 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 03-11-2013

Thanks for the two excellent suggestions. I had considered tape but dismissed it due to the issues you mentioned (messy removal) but mainly because I wasn't convinced on the ability to seal out moisture (capillary action, etc), especially when used on vertical surfaces. Does your experience with the metal tape include vertical surfaces?

I also have a supply of butyl tape that I'm planning to bed the hardware with. That would be a no cost (well...already paid) option. I think I'll try the metal tape first since it would be fast, cheap, and easy (umm...yeah the tape). The down side would be aesthetics. However, that can be a boon as well since having to look at the tape would keep me motivated to finish the project.
Old 03-11-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

What Porfin said. You can always use adhesive remover on the deck, but if you put anything INTO the holes, you'll never clean it all out again.

Look for 3M's silver masking tape, that is designed to be left out exposed in the weather for 30 days and still peel up clean. You may have to mail order it at $10/roll but for a project like this it is probably the best way to go. And unlike aluminum or mylar tape, you can tear it with your fingernails.

3M's 800# is on every product, they can tell you where to find it if you can't locate it.
Old 03-11-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Don't inject anything -- instead, buy a roll of aluminum tape (you can find it in the HVAC section of Lowes/Home Depot) and tear off small pieces to cover the holes. Although it has a tenacious adhesive, unlike duct tape, Gorilla tape, or masking tape, the aluminum tape won't leave a sticky mess behind and it cleans off very easily. It weathers very well. I've got a couple of screw holes I covered with it over 18 mos. ago, and the tape's still doing its job like a champ.
Good one, PorFin! I've used duct tape in the past, and that adhesive is indeed a PITA to get off. I'll use the aluminum tape in the future.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 03-12-2013

Amazon.com: 3M Marine 2829 #225 SILVER MASKING TAPE 1 SILVER WEATHER RESISTANT MASKING TAPE - #225: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: 3M Marine 2829 #225 SILVER MASKING TAPE 1 SILVER WEATHER RESISTANT MASKING TAPE - #225: Sports & Outdoors

... or you can pay top dollar for the version with Marine in the name !!
Old 03-12-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

cas, you've got it backwards.

The expensive 3M Silver is not expensive, and it is not top-dollar. In fact, it is bottom dollar, it is the CHEAPEST masking tape for that job.

Like the distorted Amazon picture, which seems to show a 2" wide roll of duct tape, not the 1"x60yd. wide-core roll of this product, you've got some facts mixed up.

If you use genuine metal duct tape (which is what the metal tape is) rather than the "duck" or cloth "duct" tape and don't accidentally buy the big cheap roll of silver MYLAR tape that is sold in the same HVAC section...that stuff is expensive, and it only lays flat. You can patch lots of holes in a flat deck with it, but you can't MASK and run it around curved objects, the way a crepe paper masking tape is used. And you can't tear aluminum tape with your fingernails, so now you're scissoring.

If you want a crepe paper making tape that can be left out in the weather for a month without problems, the 3M product is arguably the CHEAPEST product that will do that job. And possibly the wrong product, at any price, for other jobs.

If you run out of pb&j for the kids' lunch, sure, you can spread caviar on the bread. That might also be a waste of the wrong product.
Old 03-12-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

If it's thru bolted, get some rubber washers and reinstall the machine screws with them under the head. Be sure to tighten the nut not the screw and don't overtighten. When the rubber swells, you're good. And it doesn't look so poor-cousin as duct tape on the coaming. Oh, and by the way, I HAVE duct tape on my coaming.
cas206 likes this.
Old 03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
cas, you've got it backwards.

The expensive 3M Silver is not expensive, and it is not top-dollar. In fact, it is bottom dollar, it is the CHEAPEST masking tape for that job.
It's ok hellosailor... you are preaching to the choir. My tongue in cheek jab wasn't at your tape choice but at the vendors attempt to gussy up the product by adding "marine" to the title. I had looked up the tape on 3M's web site which calls it "Scotch® Weather Resistant Masking Tape 225 Silver". There is no mention of "marine" in the name. From your previous post, I was expecting a $10.00 price tag. Seeing that a 3rd party vendor at Amazon (my first attempt at searching for it) had listed the tape with "marine" added in the title for $40.00 prompted me to post the jab here. Doing some more shopping around shows the average price is actually closer to $25.00 a roll. Some places have lower price but higher "handling" charge.