Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Bottom Painting and color question

Well after completing work on the frozen rudder (see my other thread) I have gone on to a couple of other projects. I found serious crud in the onboard gas tank and rather than clean have ordered a new tank and will install. In the meantime I have rebuilt the carb and changed all fuel lines.

The last major job before splash is doing something with the bottom. I bought the boat a month ago. Before that it was on the hard since 2005. Just before being hauled in 2005 it had two fresh coats of Interlux Ultra with Biolux applied to the bottom. So according to the seller and the eye, the bottom was in pretty good shape other than a layer of oxidized something. Originally I planned to splash as is with a light power wash just before splash to remove the oxidation and reactivate the Interlux. After further thought and having seen the attached picture of the boat back in better days with a black bottom I decided to sand off the oxidation layer and recoat with Interlux changing the color to black with a couple of coats followed by splash.

So today I got most of the boat sanded and to my surprise I sort of like the fresh red color. I have two questions of the community here:

1. Anyone have a preference of red or black? Which one in your opinion goes better with the blue topsides? Is there any significance to either in the sailing world or is it just a matter of preference. I have included two pics to help.

2. What are the steps in recoating beyond the sanding I have done? You can see a few spots were very soft and went right down to barrier coat (yes there is an epoxy barrier coat beneath everything). Otherwise it seems to me I have a good fresh coat of Interlux Ultra to now paint over. But are there prep steps I may not be aware of?

I am planning to sail for a year and then haul for topside painting with the possibility of doing something different at that point with the bottom. Well thanks again to this great community. I feel the whole refit to be getting real close now for a splash. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Bottom Painting and color question-sanded-hull.jpg   Bottom Painting and color question-sanded-hull-2.jpg   Bottom Painting and color question-sailing.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bottom Painting and color question

Colour really is a personal preference.. I like black over red, black doesn't show scum like lighter colours, but for some that's a negative. Another advantage of using black on top of the red is that you'll be able to see when the black has sloughed off when the red reappears.

As for further prep I'd simply give it a good wet scrub and rinse with fresh water, let dry and recoat. This would be to be sure there's no dust left on the surface.

Enjoy your first season.. It's well deserved!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-14-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Meanwhile, Having put light blue over black......I prefer the blue as I CAN see the grunge on the bottom, so I can see where to scrub the grunge off before a race! Which is better, in the end, yes personal preference.

Some like the same color as the hull, or other trim.........I have blue hull stripes, blue lettering on the hull etc, so all matches to a degree, with the black under, I can see where the paint is/has thinned......

marty
Old 03-14-2013

Light blue sounds interesting. I had not been considering that color. But now my wife seems to think matching the topsides would look nice plus give us the red underneath to reveal paint thickness. Anyone want to weigh in on how the the Minx would look with blue bottom?
Old 03-14-2013

finding41 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to finding41

My boat has a white hull and blue bottom. I am going to strip the hull for a complete repaint with epoxy barrier coat and go with a light grey ablative with the rest of hull staying white. I want to see the scum before the race as well. A quick wipe will make a difference.
With the light blue of your boat it may look nice with a dark blue bottom.
First pic is right after I pulled it for the season. 2nd is kind of what I'm going for in terms of paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Bottom Painting and color question-img-20121012-02339.jpg   Bottom Painting and color question-macgregor-260r-spi-copy.jpg  

Last edited by finding41; 03-14-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2013

This is me out of the water. If you can somehow transpose the bottom color per say to your boat, if it helps, go for it. I've used WM's PCA Gold. Petit vivid has a few really bright colors. That is a harder ablative that you can burnish. But will not ablate as fast either. The pcp for my anyhow, is softer, may not last as long per say, but with my typical speeds in the 4-6 knot range it will ablate faster. I had Micron on it before, it held the grunge a bit longer once moving.

As far as paint types and brands, all work, all are a crap shoot per say too, in that what works for me along with how I sail vs you can be opposite sides of the spectrum.

Marty
Cawarra Bill likes this.
Old 03-14-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post

This is me out of the water. If you can somehow transpose the bottom color per say to your boat, if it helps, go for it. I've used WM's PCA Gold. Petit vivid has a few really bright colors. That is a harder ablative that you can burnish. But will not ablate as fast either. The pcp for my anyhow, is softer, may not last as long per say, but with my typical speeds in the 4-6 knot range it will ablate faster. I had Micron on it before, it held the grunge a bit longer once moving.

As far as paint types and brands, all work, all are a crap shoot per say too, in that what works for me along with how I sail vs you can be opposite sides of the spectrum.

Marty
I agree with Marty. Same resons for switching over to the Ultima 60 in terms of speed of abalation. e aalso noticed an improvement on the Micron Exrtra which i had been happy with. Going on our third season with it. This year is when I expect to see some weakening.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-14-2013

I got two season 24-7 out of the pca. Usually got about 3 from the micron, which is a bit harder than PCA, not as hard as Vivid as I understand the paints. Trinidad is also supposed to be on the harder side too.

I probably could have gotten a bit more out of the pca, but had a leaky ps shaft, so pulled the boat to fix that, it was out, slapped on some paint. Even if I had had vivid, micron etc, I would have slapped some paint on! Sea Hawk paints also ablate on the lower speed side of things. I've been told SH makes the WM brand of paints too. I've also seen the SR style chief mentioned is the same as some WM brands.....They may buy from both depending upon the version of WM paint, or have both make something to their specs too.

Ask what others in your marina are using, pros and cons of the paints being used, why the like vs dislike etc.

Marty
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-15-2013

I had the impression that recoating over the current Interlux Ultra/Biolux required me using same paint. Not true? If I can coat over with most any other major brands that might assist in my finding it locally here. Which I sort of need to do to keep on splash schedule of next Friday (one week). So what is the thinking about one brand coating over another. I have sanded and washed the hull to insure good clean surface. But the Interlux is clearly and intentionally still there.
Old 03-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

100% personal preference. We have grey, which is made by blending white and black.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.