Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Fluke 87

I was browsing in a pawn shop a couple days ago and found a Fluke 87 (True RMS). I've always had the cheap Radio Shack meters but have lusted after the Fluke. The deal was so good I couldn't pass it up.

So now that I've got this fancy new meter what exactly can I do with it I can't do with my basic meters. I've read the booklet, it seems to have many advanced features but I am interested in real live examples of using those advanced features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Fluke 87

I have had a Fluke 87 for many years. Even as a tradesman the vast majority of the time I use it for the basic functions that all multimeters can do; A/C and D/C volts, resistance, and continuity. When I work on motors the Capacitance testing function is handy for checking capacitors, and the Frequency function is useful when I am working on Variable Frequency Drives for motors. I have never delved into the electronics oriented functions because electronics are not my area of expertise.

That meter is a bit overkill for the consumer level, but what you get over the Radio Shack unit is accuracy and durability. I get my meters calibration checked fairly regularly, and the Flukes hardly ever need recalibrating. When it comes to detecting short circuits, the fluke is more likely to detect a high resistance short, where a cheapo meter would just indicate "open circuit" ie no short where there actually is one. When dealing with higher voltages, 600v+ I wouldn't trust a consumer level meter. I have seen a cheapo meter that had a meltdown when used on 600v! (I would hope you wouldn't be playing with that stuff!)

It is an excellent meter that will do everything you need and more. If you take care of it, it will serve you well for the rest of your life!
Faster likes this.
Hull#101
Old 03-17-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Well at least when I whip out my fluke someone may think I actually know what I'm doing.
The fact that it looks a little worn is a positive on the BS meter.

How do you get them calibrated?

The hi-Resistance issue is a good point.
Old 03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Well at least when I whip out my fluke someone may think I actually know what I'm doing.
The fact that it looks a little worn is a positive on the BS meter.

How do you get them calibrated?

The hi-Resistance issue is a good point.
My suppliers bring in the Fluke rep with his equipment and they check our meters for us for free. If you want to have yours checked you would probably have to send it to fluke, or go to an instrumentation shop. You probably don't need to unless your readings are way out.
Hull#101
Old 03-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

For general AC and DC measurements that most of us do I don't think a frequent calibration is likely needed, esp with a Fluke. Shock's fact that the Flukes rarely actually need calibration is good news.

A cheap meter can actually degrade a voltage measurement if they act as a partial short - the advantage of the Flukes is their high ohms/volt internal resistance.

And yes, it will make you look like you know what you're doing .. One thing.. if you're experimenting with a good meter like a Fluke you might want to buy a couple of the current cct fuses to have on hand in case you neglect to move the leads to the proper location. I advise my students to buy a couple of each (they're not cheap) and they usually go through them before they figure it out. Also always stow it with the leads plugged into the voltage ports.

At the risk of offending Shock (maybe..?) the only time the fuse on my own Fluke blew was when I loaned it to an electrician....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
At the risk of offending Shock (maybe..?) the only time the fuse on my own Fluke blew was when I loaned it to an electrician....
No offense taken! I'm not an electrician! I do a lot of controls, single phase and 3 phase motor work in my trade, Refrigeration/HVAC. I am actually astounded at how little some electricians know about controls. I guess if they spend their entire careers pulling wires in houses, that's all they know!

I can truthfully say I have never blown a fuse in a meter! (although I have melted the ends off a couple of probes!)
Faster likes this.
Hull#101
Old 03-17-2013

SolSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
David... If you could please refrain from whipping out your fluke in mixed company!

Unless you're talking about anchoring... Then it's just fine.
Old 03-18-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

To get a real calbration is 100 plus dollars as we have to keep all are stuff on a once a year program

To be honest i leave it in the case unless i get involved in something were tiny amounts of voltage are a big deal like a 0-10 volt DC single running the speed of a complex machine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

I design electronics, use flukes all the time, but like others have never used more than volts, amps, ohms, C, and an occasional diode check. That said their accuracy and durability is great. I'll get one myself eventually but right now I get by on a $10 online one.

Do not spend money calibrating it. For regular use you'll never need that much accuracy.

I'm not sure about schockt's comment about a high resistance short though. A short is a subjective thing, it's a somewhat arbitrary threshold on a resistance measurement below which the meter will beep and above which it won't (usually around 100 ohms). The fluke will do a better job making that resistance measurement, but I don't see anything special about a meter that just happens to have a high threshold for the beep. And even a cheap meter can make an ok R measurement over a pretty wide range. Perhaps the fluke lets you change the threshold.
Old 03-18-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

I often have to check circuits where one contact is several feet away from the other or one is in the bilge and the other in the saloon and I have a NEXXTECH talking meter.
I don't even have to see the meter, she gives me the measurement in a very sexy voice.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.