Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-17-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Roller Furling Halyard Wrap

Yesterday while sailing when I went to deploy my genoa it only came out part way. Each time I would re-furl it the amount of sail that would come out grew smaller. I discovered that when deploying the halyard would wrap around because the upper part of the furler which is supposed to stay still was turning. I had to wait until I was at anchor, then unfurl it by hand. Lower the sail so I could re-wrap the furling halyard. Raise the sail and furl it.

Today we unfurled and furled the genoa a number of times under load and unloaded and it worked fine every time.

I have no idea what I did to cause he problem in the first place nor what I did to fix it. Has anyone had a similar experience and any idea what caused the problem or how to avoid it in the future.

Thanks

Last edited by ebs001; 03-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Roller Furling Halyard Wrap

Did you check halyard tension before you lowered it?

That is probably the culprit. Halyard stretch over time, something might have slipped or been inadvertently loosened.
Old 03-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

If the swivel is stopping more than a foot or so away from the mast halyard sheave (eg if your jib is not a full hoist luff dimension) then this can be an ongoing problem.

There are a couple of easy solutions.. add a pennant to your sail to get the swivel to the top of the foil, or install a halyard restrainer. It will not allow your tensioned halyard to parallel the foil for any distance.. that's what allows the halyard to wrap.

Google Image Result for http://www.inyourfootsteps.com/images/tips/246/halyard-wrap-preventer.jpg

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 03-17-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2013

I did not check the halyard tension but I'm pretty sure it was pretty sure it was taught. I did try winching the halyard up but still got halyard wrap.
Old 03-17-2013

The top swivel is some distance from the top of the foil and I may have to use the sheave solution. I was hoping to avoid that but if it has to be done; it has to be done. It seems odd to me that it has only happened once and didn't happen again. The sail wrapping didn't look right either yesterday when it happened. It occurred to me that somehow the sail was preventing the top swivel from swivelling. I don't know how that is possible because the top of the sail is attached to the bottom of the lower portion of the swivelling mechanism, the part that is supposed to wrap.
Old 03-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
The top swivel is some distance from the top of the foil and I may have to use the sheave solution. I was hoping to avoid that but if it has to be done; it has to be done. It seems odd to me that it has only happened once and didn't happen again. The sail wrapping didn't look right either yesterday when it happened. It occurred to me that somehow the sail was preventing the top swivel from swivelling. I don't know how that is possible because the top of the sail is attached to the bottom of the lower portion of the swivelling mechanism, the part that is supposed to wrap.
If, say, your swivel ends up 3 feet from the top of the foil, if you add a 3 foot pennant (just a line extender - it could be wire or a piece of Dyneema or equivalent) to the sail that will move the swivel up high enough that halyard wrap will be much less likely. You can add the pennant to the head, or the tack, depending on whether you want the increased visiblity with the sail up higher off the deck (pennant on tack) or just want to get the swivel up (pennant on head).

You do need an accurate measurement of the 'distance'.. difficult to judge aloft.. if the pennant's too long you won't be able to get proper halyard tension.

For guaranteed elimination a halyard restrainer is best. BTW it needn't be a sheave, there are padeye style fittings that work fine. It does involve a trip aloft to install.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-18-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

It could also be that the bearings are failing in the top swivel. If the ball bearings are synthetic, they can develop flat spots or even break which could cause it to intermittently jam.
Hull#101
Old 03-18-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

A pennant won't always work. The masthead on my Pearson puts the halyard parallel to the forestay no matter how high up the foresail goes. A halyard restrainer that changes the approach angle is the only solution. You might have the same problem, what kind of boat do you have?

My Pearson has an Isomat NG37 mast. It was used on many boats, listed here:
Isomat NG37 Mast
Old 03-18-2013

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

The top swivel is not working properly, some grease can solve it.
Another possible problem is the angle of halyard with the stay. It should be more than 8 degrees. You may need to install a block on the mast.
Old 03-18-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

What model furler it is? Furlex models recommend a Halyard restrainer, which can wear out and require replacement.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.