Could a self-professed bafoon install 12V refrigeration? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Could a self-professed bafoon install 12V refrigeration?

"Soft drawn copper that is allowed to vibrate excessively will work-harden and become brittle and prone to cracking over time."

Very little known fact about copper.... why it's not seen on moving equipment very often.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road

on my fridge i just put a cork in the drain hole. every couple of weeks i just use a towel to sop the water out. Takes just a few minutes and keeps the fridge clean. I then put a teaspoon of bleach in which keeps it nice and bacteria free till next sop out.
Old 03-18-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

I've done it, so you can. Did the freezer, part way through doing the fridge.

Clive at Seafrost is a great help. They will send you everything you need. The connectors are simple to use after you read the instructions.

I bought the double gauges and pipe cutter from the local Harbor Freight store. It has easily paid for itself. There's a great book on marine refrigeration by Richard Kollmann. Definitely buy it. Never be afraid to buy tools and instructional books.

Figure out how to power it. A fridge will need one 130w solar panel, at least wehre I am. That's assuming your battery bank can handle it. (We have 330 amp-hours, which is pleny for a fridge where we are.) The Kollmann book talks about how much juice you'll need, based on the surface area of the fridge and whether it's top loading or side loading.

I ran 30 feet of tubing (x2) and put the compressor back near the steering quadrant -- think under the swim platform. That was to keep the noise away. Once I get insulated, flexible ducts to the outside, I expect it will be untra quiet -- only thing you can here on the Tradewinds units are teh little "computer fan". So they are quiet. Compressor don't drip water. The part inside the box will attract condensation.

Dishwashing liquid and a small paint brush is your friend for finding leaks -- usually an indicator the your connectors need to be tighted a little more.

Use slightly oversized wiring to keep line-loss low -- especially if you have a long run.

--

This spring I'm connecting the fridge compressor. I have both copper tubes and the thermostat wires already run.

I'm also connetion thefreezer's thermostat wires to a relay driven off the solar panel dump load, and maybe a second thermostat. If there's extra juice, the freezer compressor will just run and run. It's my way of saving the batteries by reducing the load at night. If I do the freezer right, the holding plate (and maybe some homemade icepacks made from diluted, non-toxic antifreeze) will keep the freezer cold enough to last through the night. That and I'm reducing the depth of the freezer with white-painted, pink (or blue) foam from Home Despot.

Anyone know of a liquid container that is really flat. It would be for making home-made ice-packs made from diluted, non-toxic antifreeze. Somehting 1" thick that still hods a quart would be great.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 03-18-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Always more than one would think. Nothing sweats more than a beer or soda can. When I plug the drain in mine, I can get an inch of water in no time. Add any organic substance and it does stink. Even if you don't spill, things may have spilled on your containers in the factory or store. The condensation washes it off and it seems to like to grow on boats..........
I have my drain hooked to a bilge pump with a bypass valve. I leave it on the "freezer" side most of the time. Just manually turn the pump on once and a while. I trickle a little bleach in once in a while to keep any smells at bay. Any serious cruising i switch the valve over in case i need the additional pump. Factory installed, kinda nice. Keeps everything nice and dry below.
Old 03-18-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparclan View Post
Well, there you have it; if my 40' boat just had a good ice box before, could I install a 12V refer unit without hiring it out? (Assuming I was - am - reasonably handy?)
It's not a difficult installation. The tricky part is figuring out how feed the beast. Every cruiser will tell you that the refer is the biggest hit on their batteries. Keeping up ain't easy.

Ralph
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/
Old 03-18-2013

cparclan is on a distinguished road

Hey gang - THANKS for the great responses. I will give it a go when we get the boat here.
Old 03-19-2013

Capnblu is on a distinguished road

I just put in an Engel last week. Real easy, any body could do it.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I'd actually go on to say that professional hvac people (who Moi?) over think/plan more then necessary LOL
SolSailor likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 03-19-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
It's not a difficult installation. The tricky part is figuring out how feed the beast. Every cruiser will tell you that the refer is the biggest hit on their batteries. Keeping up ain't easy.

Ralph
Busy and new solar power | sailing away with R & B
I installed an Isotherm system myself about 10 years ago. It was a "Self Pumping (SP) version with "Automatic Start Up" (ASU). The SP bit meant is used an in-water heat exchanger that circulated coolant by convection--no fan. The ASU bit meant that the compressor would kick into high gear if the engine came on so as to freeze the cold plate faster.

The worst of it was changing out the galley sink drain thru-hull with a bronze one that housed the heat exchanger. Hasn't fouled or corroded in 10 years. It is a fairly compact thru-hull and wasn't any big deal to install. The only other large hole was a little over an inch to accommodate the special fittings that allow the system to be precharged. Other than that it was a matter of less than a dozen screws to secure the compressor, cold plate, fuse, and controller and running wiring.

Bottom line: The unit was more expensive than an air-cooled refrigeration system, but it is extremely compact, quiet, and apparently very efficient. I once ran it for 4 days on battery power to see how long it would take to discharge my battery bank. I wasn't running any other loads, so I would estimate that I could go 2 days on 3 fully charged 105 AH gel cells under realistic conditions (house lights, electronics, windlass).
Old 04-16-2013

windway is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). I have a 32' sloop in Florida and I'm considering air cooled vs. water cooled; Isotherm ASU 3201 looks good. Any thoughts?