SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How can this happen? Shroud Tension (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/97671-how-can-happen-shroud-tension.html)

rhr1956 03-18-2013 11:44 AM

How can this happen? Shroud Tension

After replacing a bad bulkhead and stepping the mast, we finally got to sail yesterday. While sailing I heard (or felt-not really sure) a slight pop. Upon returning to the slip I noticed the lower shrouds were quite loose. The uppers were still as tight as a fiddle string. I wonder what happened. Any ideas?

jameswilson29 03-18-2013 11:58 AM

Re: How can this happen? Shroud Tension

I had a P26, too - great boat. If I remember correctly, both uppers and lowers attach to a fiberglass knee adjoining the bulkhead in between slots in the fiberglass head liner.

Well assuming all the fittings were in their proper positions, there are only three possibilities with single lowers and uppers: (1) the mast step/compression post/bilge dropped, (2) the bulkhead attachments moved, or (3) the mast itself moved. It would seem the first 2 would affect uppers and lowers equally. Therefore, I would guess that your mast was not in proper vertical column so the middle of the mast was either forward or aft of its place (difficult to imagine with a mast as thick and elliptical shaped as the P26). The forces of sailing accidentally brought the mast in column, so the lowers are now slack. Tighten them up!

Did you sight up the mast from the side and back to see straight lines? Do you see any movement of the bulkhead with respect to the inner liner? Was the new bulkhead properly seated against the deck between the head liner?

SchockT 03-18-2013 12:07 PM

You don't provide a whole lot of information to work with! Are the chainplates connected to the new bulhead?
If so, is all the tabbing on the new bulkhead intact? What kind of tangs connect the shrouds to the mast? If it is T-ball or something like it, maybe they werent properly seated when you connected them, and then they "popped" into place when you started sailing?

I think a careful inspection of your new bulhead, chainplates and standing rigging is in order before you sail again!

Alex W 03-18-2013 12:14 PM

I assume you had cotter pins in the turnbuckles?

c. breeze 03-18-2013 12:29 PM

mechanical or swaged fittings?

rhr1956 03-18-2013 01:43 PM

More info...
1. Swaged fittings
2. Bulkheads solidly tabbed and intact.
3. Compression posts and header solid. Compression posts footing (bilge) solid.
4. Cotter Pins NOT IN PLACE. We left them out on purpose to make final adjustments if necessary.
5. Tangs are the pivoting type. One on each side of mast and through-bolted with a single 3/8" bolt and lock nut. The shrouds are attached with a 1/4" clevis pin and ring ding.

BubbleheadMd 03-18-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchockT (Post 1004169)
You don't provide a whole lot of information to work with! Are the chainplates connected to the new bulhead?
If so, is all the tabbing on the new bulkhead intact? What kind of tangs connect the shrouds to the mast? If it is T-ball or something like it, maybe they werent properly seated when you connected them, and then they "popped" into place when you started sailing?I think a careful inspection of your new bulhead, chainplates and standing rigging is in order before you sail again!

Whether T-ball style or not, it sounds like something was not properly seated, and popped into place during sailing, especially based on the OP's insistence that all tabbing and chainplates are solidly intact.

BTW- any rigging that is "tight as a fiddle string" is TOO TIGHT. That's a good way to wreck a chainplate, or tabbing or induce "hogging".

rhr1956 03-18-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 1004240)
Whether T-ball style or not, it sounds like something was not properly seated, and popped into place during sailing, especially based on the OP's insistence that all tabbing and chainplates are solidly intact.

BTW- any rigging that is "tight as a fiddle string" is TOO TIGHT. That's a good way to wreck a chainplate, or tabbing or induce "hogging".

"Tight as a fiddle string" Figure of speech...simply to say that the uppers were still tight. Only the lowers were loose. Also forestay and backstay were still tight.

Side note: When the chainplate pulled up through the old (waterlogged) bulkhead both upper and lower shrouds were equally loose.

Alex W 03-18-2013 02:10 PM

If the cotter pins were not in place then how do you know that the turnbuckle didn't turn and loosen?

Hopefully the cotter pins that hold the clevis pins were in place, it is really safe to sail without those being there.

tommays 03-18-2013 04:11 PM

The most common time i have seen this is on Rod Rigging right after the mast was stepped as you cannot see how well the headed part of the rod is sitting in its mating part

The tballs are supposed to have a rubber plug inserted in the slot above the fitting which holds it in the correct place and I see them MISSSING ALL THE TIME