Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
If you want to use tires get them from the airport , no wire, not raidials & a better size....Dale
Good point, I was thinking if the radial wires come out, they could do a nice wire brushing of your hull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
The plan was to leave them at the dock. I did a test a few weeks back to see how I could tie them off. You are right, they are very heavy and something you want to leave on the dock.
Many years ago we used tires on our commercial salmon troller. Instead of tying them onto the boat we fastened then to the piling, no floats, via a line through a block which was fastened to the top of the piling, so the tire stayed with the boat as it went up & down with the tide. Yes, they will mark the boat but as we had "rub strakes" so it didn't mark the planking. They do a good job of buffering any impact.

Paul T
Old 03-18-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

No one has commented on whether fender boards combined with fenders might provide more protection? Also, maybe the municipal harbor would let you line the pier with running track surface, fire hose material, or something similar... or perhaps you could wrap the tires with something like fire hose fabric.
Old 03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
No one has commented on whether fender boards combined with fenders might provide more protection? Also, maybe the municipal harbor would let you line the pier with running track surface, fire hose material, or something similar... or perhaps you could wrap the tires with something like fire hose fabric.
I am on a floating dock, which makes things easier. I can fix the tire to the dock and it will always fend the boat at the same position no matter what the tide (same with the taylor fenders I am now using- the main fender is tied of horozontally to the cleat on the dock). The dock does have a fending rub strip the full length, which is nice for small bumps, but not when the harbor really starts rocking and rolling.

As far as fender boards, I think they are used to span one piling to another, since my dock is a continuous floating dock, we do not have exposed pilings and no need for a fender board.

Last edited by casey1999; 03-18-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=klem;1004371]On larger commercial vessels and tugs, tires are routinely used as fenders.
This is how tiger mosquitoes found rides to distant ports and came to like it in the new land.
That said drill holes and do not trap water in old tires. It is hard to get an old tire not to hold rain water this and just the looks is why I think they came to be hated as a fender imho. It is good to find a use for a discarded item. Kind regards, Lou
Old 03-18-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

You could stop by a golf course and get some golf cart tires. Link them together to get the appropriate size. They are softer and no wires. It may work.
casey1999 likes this.
Old 03-18-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Talk to your slip neighbour... To your mutual benefit you could set up a couple of heavy duty bungee cords between the two boats, holding them both off the dock except for the times that one of you is away. If the space is adequate you won't need fenders between the boats, each boat can be tied so as to be a foot off the dock, and the bungees maintaining tension and the gap between boats is limited by your own dock lines.

When your neighbour is away for a time run the same idea across to the other finger.. you just need his/her agreement and cooperation but it shouldn't be a hard sell. We did this before after a fresh paint job.. didn't want fender rub and it worked for us both.

Raw tires are just wicked nasty.. covered tires works well but most marinas won't allow such heavy add-ons.
CatMan22 likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-18-2013

klem is on a distinguished road

casey,

If you decide to leave the tires at the dock, I would recommend retying them to the boat when you get back. If they are securely tied to the boat, it will scuff your topsides a lot less as there will be much less relative movement between them and your topsides. If you tie them to the dock, your boat will have a lot of relative movement and it will make the aesthetic issue much worse.

I have never seen the steel belting come out of a tire but I could certainly see it happening. The worst thing that I have seen was someone who used studded tires without realizing it on a wooden boat. We used to use fenders in the summer and tires for the winter so the scuffing wasn't a big deal for us as things would get painted as soon as spring rolled around.
Old 03-18-2013

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

If you are in a double wide slip with a floating dock, then you are tied on one side (let's say port) and your neighbor is tied on his starboard side. Tie the boats together! Run just one line from a cleat on your boat to a cleat on your neighbor's with just enough tension to keep you both off your respective docks. Ask first, of course. This was common practice in a marina I was in many years ago, and I have been doing it where I am presently for over a decade. It helps both boats and is pretty effective.
Old 03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeissinger View Post
If you are in a double wide slip with a floating dock, then you are tied on one side (let's say port) and your neighbor is tied on his starboard side. Tie the boats together! Run just one line from a cleat on your boat to a cleat on your neighbor's with just enough tension to keep you both off your respective docks. Ask first, of course. This was common practice in a marina I was in many years ago, and I have been doing it where I am presently for over a decade. It helps both boats and is pretty effective.
On the lines of what Faster recommended. I like Faster's idea of using a bungee, it may be the solution of what I was concerned about. Neighbors boat is a Nordic 44 and weighs probably 3 or 4 times what mine weighs. We get a raelly bad ground swell that at times can make its way into the harbor (waves can be breaking with 50 foot faces just outside the harbor). When that happens, boats are moving as well as the docks (since they are floating). If I tie to neighbors boat, that boat could be moving opposite direction as mine, and when a common line were to go tight, would rip the cleat off my boat (the Nordic 44 cleats are much stonger than mine). The bungee might work, but then again when things really start to move, best is to just be tied up somewhat close to the dock (with fenders) and ride it out that way. If I have too much slack in the dock lines, then the boat moves around too much, building a lot of momentum, before reaching the limit of the dock line. I do have line snubbers in all my dock lines to try to relieve some of the stress on lines and cleats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.