Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tires as Fenders

As far as tires, I saw how smack lost his boat. Was wondering how the boats would have fared if the dock had tires tied to where the boats bows made contact. I am thinking of doing this in case I break a dock line and the bow starts contacting the pier (I go bow in). Might buy some time before the bow is heavily damaged. Would also help me on my not so perfect docking manuvers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
As far as tires, I saw how smack lost his boat. Was wondering how the boats would have fared if the dock had tires tied to where the boats bows made contact. I am thinking of doing this in case I break a dock line and the bow starts contacting the pier (I go bow in). Might buy some time before the bow is heavily damaged. Would also help me on my not so perfect docking manuvers.
I have seen the surge in the harnors in Niwilliwilli and also in Lahina and how they can really big dramatic. What about a large fender board with fenders on both sides. It would cushion the shock doubly. They work well on fixed docks. In your case you may want to attach the fender board to the edge of the floating dock with cleats. Having fenders of both side of the board amkes it like the Nascar safer barrier in theat it gives and the soick compresses on both sdes at contact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I have seen the surge in the harnors in Niwilliwilli and also in Lahina and how they can really big dramatic. What about a large fender board with fenders on both sides. It would cushion the shock doubly. They work well on fixed docks. In your case you may want to attach the fender board to the edge of the floating dock with cleats. Having fenders of both side of the board amkes it like the Nascar safer barrier in theat it gives and the soick compresses on both sdes at contact.
Chef may be on to something here. While fender boards are typically used to bridge pilings that a fender would slip past, they also distribute the load across more than one fender. If you're have unusual pinning against your floating dock, there may be something to spreading it out. Often, one or two fenders take the brunt.

I put out six fenders, when only two take most of the pressure under normal conditions. I rotate which two are in that position, so they don't wear more quickly.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Chef may be on to something here. While fender boards are typically used to bridge pilings that a fender would slip past, they also distribute the load across more than one fender. If you're have unusual pinning against your floating dock, there may be something to spreading it out. Often, one or two fenders take the brunt.

I put out six fenders, when only two take most of the pressure under normal conditions. I rotate which two are in that position, so they don't wear more quickly.
They way I do it now, I have use three of the Big B (10 " X 30"). One is horozontal tied off at pier and I have two vertical tied off at the base of a stanchion post on the boat. The one horozontal at pier would handle all impacts on its own, but I have two verticals just to help, and to take over in case the horozontal deflates.

This all works well, but as with any dock, there are eges that wear away at the fenders. I do rotate the fenders and change height, but after three years one has developed a leak- I think it is a defect (looks like an internal split) and will try to return for exchange. If you read the Taylor warranty, they do not cover wear damage- which you might get by rubbing, nor would they cover a puncture damage. Using a fender board could help by distributing the pressure points. The thought on the tires is they are cheap, would not deflate during a storm when you need protection most, and if they wear, they are cheap to replace. I see the down side however.
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I wonder if West Marine's no question asked return policy works for a worn out fender? Probably not.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-19-2013

Quote:
I wonder if West Marine's no question asked return policy works for a worn out fender? Probably not.
I had bought the fenders from wm mail order. Few weeks ago I called them and they said they would send me a replacement. Then, a few minutes later they called back and said I needed to go directly through Taylor. I called Taylor and asked if I could return it to my local wm store for exchange. Taylor said I could. I will attempt to do that. WM is getting harder to deal with (as most stores are tightening there return and warraty policy- not just wm, to save on the bottom line). I have not had a chance to get to the WM, but I will try. Hope they exchange without a problem. If I need to mail to Taylor for exchange, shipping will be the cost of a new fender- probably about $90 as everthing into and out of Hawaii goes air freight. Shipping cost to Hawaii generally runs the cost of the item. I try to buy local because of that. WM did have a flat rate of $20 for shipping for all your items to Hawaii- I think even that has now changed.
Old 03-19-2013

If the fender is not punctured, it can only be leaking from the stem. I would press on that being warranty. It's a minor burst.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-19-2013

Quote:
If the fender is not punctured, it can only be leaking from the stem. I would press on that being warranty. It's a minor burst.
The leak is through a crack. By feel I can tell the crack started from within the fender and moved out to the outside of the fender where it broke through. At that point it made a pin hole leak. Hope this is considered splitting and hope it will be covered under warranty. Warranty only covers splitting and bursting.
Old 03-19-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I've been using tyres as fenders for decades. I wouldn't consider buying a fender. I cut them into three sections and stuff them each inside of the next to a total of three sections. I cut out the wire around the centre and put a hole in the bottom and tie a rope thru the hole. Three sections give you far more cushioning than one. and they sink when you tie alongside a log boom ,making them far more effective than floating fenders. And they last forever. Painting them the colour of your hull eliminates scuff marks, altho scuff marks can be easily cleaned off with gasoline or diesel fuel.
I wouldn't want to be seen in a marina so childishly snobby as to ban tyres for fenders. That would be embarrassing.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 03-20-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2013

If that's not splitting, what is.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.