Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
....I wouldn't want to be seen in a marina so snobby as to ban tyres for fenders. That would be embarrassing.
Which is why they do it. They don't want people with tires for fenders to be seen there, so everyone is apparently happy.
chef2sail and SloopJonB like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If that's not splitting, what is.
The split was in an area where so rub wear occured. I hope WM/Taylor agree with you, but if they deny, not much you can do.
Old 03-19-2013

Quote:
Which is why they do it. They don't want people with tires for fenders to be seen there, so everyone is apparently happy.
Brent is saying he does not want moor his boat in a marina unless tires are allowed. I agree. I do not want marina to tell me how to protect my boat. Anything should go as long as it does not hurt their docks or the environment.

Funny thing, there is a 50 foot fishing boat that uses old boogy boards to fend his boat. He even uses the old leash still attached to the boogy board to tie it off. Well they do not work well, only about two inches of hard foam to protect his boat. I do not really care what he uses, but what bothers me is when the boogy board starts to break up and drop into the water adding foam and plastic to our already polluted ocean. I pick up what I can from the water.
Old 03-19-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, you have to admit it would look a bit Beverly Hillbilly.

Taylor Made fenders have lifetime warranty against bursting or splitting. As you point out, they are expensive, but they are the last you'll ever pay for.
Great info, I didn't know they had a lifetime warranty. I have two flats ones that won't hold air for more than a day. I should have known about the warranty (dumb), thanks for posting.
Old 03-19-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

The acrylan slip covers friends made for the tires that they were using as fenders were presentable and seemed to work fine.
Old 03-19-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

casey, if the boat is small enough, there are things called "dock whips" or something like that. They are fiberglass rods that you bolt vertically onto the dock. Then you bend them down, over the boat, and tie the end to the far side of the boat.

The rod tries to straighten out, which in turn pushes the boat away from the dock.

Not perfect, but they can help if sized properly and at least in moderate conditions.

Tires that are in the water or soaked with tidal changes, will grow barnacles and those of course will chew up the hull. So like any other fender the tires should be kept high enough to be dry.

Of course, you could try something industrial along the lines of shock absorbers, pinned into the dock on one end, pinned into the boat on the other. Or light truck springs from the junkyard, holding off a padded fender board. I have no idea how much "brute force" you'll need to gentle down that dock but sometimes a clever machine shop can suggest something, if you're allowed to install things.
Old 03-19-2013

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Quote:
Well, you have to admit it would look a bit Beverly Hillbilly.

Taylor Made fenders have lifetime warranty against bursting or splitting. As you point out, they are expensive, but they are the last you'll ever pay for.
Hear, hear! I got a free replacement of a Taylormade fender last Autumn when one only a year old developed a leak in the fenderwhip eye, of all places. West Marine traded it for me.
Pasadena, MD
Old 03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
casey, if the boat is small enough, there are things called "dock whips" or something like that. They are fiberglass rods that you bolt vertically onto the dock. Then you bend them down, over the boat, and tie the end to the far side of the boat.

The rod tries to straighten out, which in turn pushes the boat away from the dock.

Not perfect, but they can help if sized properly and at least in moderate conditions.

Tires that are in the water or soaked with tidal changes, will grow barnacles and those of course will chew up the hull. So like any other fender the tires should be kept high enough to be dry.

Of course, you could try something industrial along the lines of shock absorbers, pinned into the dock on one end, pinned into the boat on the other. Or light truck springs from the junkyard, holding off a padded fender board. I have no idea how much "brute force" you'll need to gentle down that dock but sometimes a clever machine shop can suggest something, if you're allowed to install things.
I looked into the dock whips a couple years ago and could not find one big enough. I will try to find some golf cart tires. Seems those would be flexible enough and small enough diameter to stay dry above water line. They probably do not have steel belts. I will keep with the Taylor fenders (try to get replacement for leaking one) but tires would be a good back up. Thing I like about tires is they cannot fail. Taylor may honor their life warranty, but that does little good if your boat is damaged. At my harbor, I have seen numerous boats damaged after the fender deflated. Problem is the fender is most likely to fail during a big surge event, the time when you need that fender the most.

Curious as to why no maker fills the fender with a light weight foam to make them "run flat" fenders.
Old 03-20-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I'm going to guess that lightweight foam means open cell, which gets real nasty real fast when warm and damp. And closed cell foam is expensive. And you can't blow mold a vinyl envelope around either one of them, so now you need a whole different manufacutring process. Closed cell will also tend to rupture cells every time it goes squish, although foamed neoprene is strong enough it is damned expensive.

So...it all comes down to money.

Can't you put down some helix anchors outboard of the hull, attach float lines to them, and then pull the boat away from the wall when you secure it?
Old 03-20-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Yes ,stick a knife in the tire to make sure its not steel belted. Several along your dock not only protect you more if a line breaks, but they also make it much easier for anyone who falls off the dock to get back aboard.
kellysails likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.