Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Can't you put down some helix anchors outboard of the hull, attach float lines to them, and then pull the boat away from the wall when you secure it?
That would not be allowed. I am in a state owned harbor and the only thing you can do is tie your boat to the existing dock cleats. On big surge events some boats set an anchor to try to keep off the dock. I have not tried this as I do not think it is worth the effort. The scope would be less than 1:1 and the harbor bottom is mostly silt- not much holding power. Additionally, if there is a boat next to me (we are in double wide slips) the line to the anchor could interfere with their mooring or the entering and exiting dock.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

My old dock has a couple of tires mounted on it as fenders. I hatde them, they left black marks on the gelcoat that was annoying to remove. I was always docking in a way that made sure that the boat never touched the tire, kind of defeating it's purpose.
Old 03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I was always docking in a way that made sure that the boat never touched the tire, kind of defeating it's purpose.
Sounds as if they actually worked well.
Old 03-20-2013
always busy with sailing

They worked about as well as putting nails with the sharp end sticking out of the side of the dock. That isn't normally what I ask for from my fenders.
Cawarra Bill likes this.
Old 03-20-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Bare tires are only fit for workboats at a working dock. They are simply not "yacht" (sniff )

20 years ago my wife came home with an armful of 3 1/2" X 5' solid pool noodles (no hole down the center). As soon as I saw them I realized she had bought them to use as dock edging. They are closed cell foam and cost next to nothing - especially at the end of summer at dollar stores.

I lashed them in place using lengths of old sail ties screwed to the float with stainless screws and fender washers. They worked exceptionally well - if a fender flips up you are still completely protected. If you misjudge and rub the dock - nada.

They will deteriorate from UV - lasted three years here before they started shedding. You have two choices about that - spend $20 every couple of years for new ones or spend a bunch more and make up covers like those sold for fenders. If I could use a sewing machine I'd make covers colour coordinated to the boat but as it was I simply used noodles that were colour coordinated to the boat.

After I implemented her idea we started noticing other people using them in the same way - should have patented the idea.
joebeach and Cawarra Bill like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-20-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Lots of good points pro and con. Please if you do use a tire be sure it will not be a breeding ground for mosquitos. Fix it so water can not stand in it. Good Day, Lou
Old 03-20-2013

Cawarra Bill is on a distinguished road

Dont be so cheap....Use the nice big fenders......replace when worn out....cheapest part of owning a boat if you ask me. Cant afford to but a fender? How are you going to afford to fix anything else that wears out? Tires.....cmon man Sail.net ...... not tug.net
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawarra Bill View Post
Dont be so cheap....Use the nice big fenders......replace when worn out....cheapest part of owning a boat if you ask me. Cant afford to but a fender? How are you going to afford to fix anything else that wears out? Tires.....cmon man Sail.net ...... not tug.net
I look for ways to save money and resources. That is how I CAN afford to fix anything else that wears out and keep my safety equipment up to date. And I will stay "cheap". I drive 20 year old (or more) cars but have managed to pay my house off, boat off, and all cars paid for. I owe no one nothing- but hey, you can call me cheap if you like....
MedSailor and Cawarra Bill like this.
Old 03-21-2013
always busy with sailing

I'm also often frugal, but this isn't the right place to be frugal.

I spent 5 minutes buffing tire marks off of my friends boat yesterday after we hit a dock-mounted tire while docking in high winds. If you don't mind your boat being covered in black skid marks then they work fine, but if nothing else you'll be paying for it later in buffing compound and wax.

Used fenders are about the same price as used tires. I was offered two free ones on Sunday by one of my dock mates. Even at local used sailing stores you can get them for about $10/ea.
Old 03-21-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I look for ways to save money and resources. That is how I CAN afford to fix anything else that wears out and keep my safety equipment up to date. And I will stay "cheap". I drive 20 year old (or more) cars but have managed to pay my house off, boat off, and all cars paid for. I owe no one nothing- but hey, you can call me cheap if you like....
Don't sweat it Casey - many people (if not most, these days) fail to understand the difference between being cheap and being frugal.

P.S. Using exposed tires as fenders is cheap. There are alternatives, as noted here, that work as well and don't look so trashy and scuff boats.
Cawarra Bill likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 03-21-2013 at 01:17 PM.