Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I'm also often frugal, but this isn't the right place to be frugal.

I spent 5 minutes buffing tire marks off of my friends boat yesterday after we hit a dock-mounted tire while docking in high winds. If you don't mind your boat being covered in black skid marks then they work fine, but if nothing else you'll be paying for it later in buffing compound and wax.

Used fenders are about the same price as used tires. I was offered two free ones on Sunday by one of my dock mates. Even at local used sailing stores you can get them for about $10/ea.
Well you should be glad the tires were there, otherwise you would be spending more than 5 minutes for the repair. As others have mentioned, cover the tires (I have seen old carpet used) to prevent scuff marks. I have 6 used tires sitting in garage- they were free, saved from last tire change- I can get more free from local tire store if needed. Used fenders here in Hawaii are rare, fenders here do not last long and people keep them until they are completely deflated and torn. I saw some used ones (complete with gashes on them) on the local craigs list and they were nearly the cost of new with no warranty- they sold in two days. There are no used boat equipment swap meets here. There are really not many boaters and very few active sailors.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013

Cawarra Bill is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I look for ways to save money and resources. That is how I CAN afford to fix anything else that wears out and keep my safety equipment up to date. And I will stay "cheap". I drive 20 year old (or more) cars but have managed to pay my house off, boat off, and all cars paid for. I owe no one nothing- but hey, you can call me cheap if you like....
Yes don't sweat it. Not calling you cheap. Lol. It's a great thing being debt free. I couldn't afford a boat if I wasn't. I too have mine paid off. I'm sure we all take loads of pride in our investments and one way I do that is by keeping a tidy clean ship. Mine may not be the prettiest boat in the marina and sure shows the signs of wear. Because she gets used. Loads if boats in marinas seem to just sit and grow gardens of green on their decks and just rot. Sad.

So you want to be frugal as we all do. I save money by doing most of the dirty stuff myself as I'm sure we all do. But in taking pride in something so special I doubt I could ever hang something as old school as a bunch of tires to protect my boat. Unless I was looking to be included in the relaunch of the beachcombers.. A west coast classic
Old 03-21-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well you should be glad the tires were there, otherwise you would be spending more than 5 minutes for the repair.
We touched the tire at perhaps 1mph, probably less. The dock is wood. I think there would have been nothing to do if the tire wasn't there. It's more of a problem than a help.

Pool noodles, as recommended elsewhere in this thread, are a better and also cheap solution.
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
We touched the tire at perhaps 1mph, probably less. The dock is wood. I think there would have been nothing to do if the tire wasn't there. It's more of a problem than a help.

Pool noodles, as recommended elsewhere in this thread, are a better and also cheap solution.
Those pool noodles would not work at my location. My dock already is fully lined with marine dock bumper edging. The edging is fine for very light hits (as a pool noodle would be), but would provide no protection when the surf gets up. Here in HI with the UV being in the extreme category nearly every day the pool noodle would being falling apart within two months, and then dropping into the water and causing pollution. Now I would be equal to the guy using old boggie boards as fenders (as I previously posted). Note the poole noodles and insides of cheap boogie boards are made out of the same closed cell foam.

At my dock there are two large catamarans (40 - 50 feet). One uses about $2,000 dollars worth of fenders tied end to end to protect his cat. The other cat uses old tires covered with carpet. The gel coat of both cats looks great. Now which way is the best way to go? If the tires work, I would save the $2,000. And I would assume, due to the constant wear the fenders get, the fenders will need replaceing every 5 years (these cats are at an end pier so they must be tied tight to the dock).
Old 03-21-2013

First of all. .... You lucky dog. You live in Hawaii. What island are you on? I went to U.H. For a year. love it. Sailing must be out of this world. I don't see why you would need 2 g worth of fenders. With the way a sailboat is shaped you really have one main rub point if you are square to the dock. I'm running 3 along the dockside. Maybe 2 on the opposite as a courtesy to my neighbor if he drifts over. And the cost to me was a couple hundred with all the rope. I hate spending the money. Seems like everything for a boat has you pay triple tax hidden somewhere.
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawarra Bill View Post
First of all. .... You lucky dog. You live in Hawaii. What island are you on? I went to U.H. For a year. love it. Sailing must be out of this world. I don't see why you would need 2 g worth of fenders. With the way a sailboat is shaped you really have one main rub point if you are square to the dock. I'm running 3 along the dockside. Maybe 2 on the opposite as a courtesy to my neighbor if he drifts over. And the cost to me was a couple hundred with all the rope. I hate spending the money. Seems like everything for a boat has you pay triple tax hidden somewhere.
On a large catamaran, the hull is pretty much straight, not like a mono hull that is widest at its beam. The guy that owns the large cat with the $2k in fenders I suppose wants to protect is $500k boat as best he can, and try to distribute the hull forces along as much surface area as can be done. The guy with the tires has the entire dock along side his hull covered with tires- again to increase the fending surface area. I am on Oahu, harbor is Haleiwa on North Shore.

The sailing here is good, generally a 25 knot plus wind. I kinda like the days the wind goes below 15 knots, then I can relax a little.

Last edited by casey1999; 03-21-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2013

I agree on the cat. I was going to mention that . One can only dream. 55 cat would be nice although hard to find moorage. I know the area. Awesome. My buddy is on the north shore landed today. Hope the locals leave his haole ass alone. Lol
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawarra Bill View Post
I agree on the cat. I was going to mention that . One can only dream. 55 cat would be nice although hard to find moorage. I know the area. Awesome. My buddy is on the north shore landed today. Hope the locals leave his haole ass alone. Lol
He should be ok, just treat others as you would like to be treated and all is good.

I am on the fence about a cat. They are big and nice, but what about in a big storm? I feel safer in a mono that can roll and come back. Docking, as you point out is a big expensive problem, and harder to manuver. I assume its like paying for two boats (double slip) unless you are on an end pier. I'll stick to a mono.
Old 03-21-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Hmmmm???
White "tires" from interior porta lifts? Hard rubber; but once pressed from the steel ceneter, might make good bumpers?? The , perhaps 8-10" ones I've seen get changed out when there's only an inch or 1.5" left onnem.

just wondering???
Old 03-21-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The other cat uses old tires covered with carpet. The gel coat of both cats looks great. Now which way is the best way to go? If the tires work, I would save the $2,000. And I would assume, due to the constant wear the fenders get, the fenders will need replaceing every 5 years (these cats are at an end pier so they must be tied tight to the dock).
If you do a neat job with pieces of tire and then cover them neatly with indoor/outdoor carpet you could get a pretty cheap and effective solution that could look decent as well.

Taking a bit of care with your workmanship would be the key to making this an acceptable looking solution I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.