Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tires as Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
If you do a neat job with pieces of tire and then cover them neatly with indoor/outdoor carpet you could get a pretty cheap and effective solution that could look decent as well.

Taking a bit of care with your workmanship would be the key to making this an acceptable looking solution I think.
Happy to see you are working your way over to my side of the creek...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

See if you gentlemen can bring this up. Copy righted pic so cannot post:
pics haleiwa marina - Bing Images

Kinda funny. The artist likes tires as fenders. Now imagine the pic with a Taylor Big B. Would not have quite the effect.

Maybe if I use white walls.......
Cawarra Bill likes this.
Old 03-22-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I often tie to log booms and a couple of tires with drain holes will sink to the correct level and sit well against the low lying log.A piece of carpet lashed to the tire make a great kitty ladder when at anchor and is heavy enough to not bob bob against the hull in a little wave action.
Old 03-22-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same situation with single a single finger berth. I changed slips once, so that the prevailing wind blows my boat off the dock (while blowing my dock mate's boat into his finger). I also fix my fenders to the dock rather than the boat, using fenders I find adrift. I keep my good fenders aboard for when I visit guest docks. I've used the same "borrowed" fenders for years, and they are still very serviceable. If I didn't find fenders I would do the same thing with fenders I purchased, as I agree with others that tires would look "Ghetto" on a pleasure boat. More importantly...."Non-Marking" soles on shoes don't mark because they are carbon free. I could be wrong, however, I assume there is plenty of carbon in tires!
Old 03-23-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Bare tires are only fit for workboats at a working dock. They are simply not "yacht" (sniff )

20 years ago my wife came home with an armful of 3 1/2" X 5' solid pool noodles (no hole down the center). As soon as I saw them I realized she had bought them to use as dock edging. They are closed cell foam and cost next to nothing - especially at the end of summer at dollar stores.

I lashed them in place using lengths of old sail ties screwed to the float with stainless screws and fender washers. They worked exceptionally well - if a fender flips up you are still completely protected. If you misjudge and rub the dock - nada.

They will deteriorate from UV - lasted three years here before they started shedding. You have two choices about that - spend $20 every couple of years for new ones or spend a bunch more and make up covers like those sold for fenders. If I could use a sewing machine I'd make covers colour coordinated to the boat but as it was I simply used noodles that were colour coordinated to the boat.

After I implemented her idea we started noticing other people using them in the same way - should have patented the idea.
Pool noodles encased in fire hose would probably last forever. Hmmm.....

I like the golf cart tire idea except for it marking up the hull. As much as I would like to say I don't care about that, I do think that my boat is beautiful and if it's white hull were all marked up all the time, it wouldn't be good.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.