SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   New purchase, needs bottom paint, no trailer (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/97724-new-purchase-needs-bottom-paint-no-trailer.html)

russellnyberg 03-20-2013 12:28 PM

New purchase, needs bottom paint, no trailer

Hey all, I just purchased my first sailboat. Kent Ranger 24. It's in great condition and has everything I need, however (of course) it hasn't had a bottom paint in a couple years (4+). The boat didn't come with any sort of trailer. So I'm not quite sure what path to take. The boats at Hayden Island in Portland OR, and I know I can get a guy to haul it out and put it on stands...but that becomes pretty pricey...I want to do the work myself, and I also need to fix my sink drain that's froze up (the guy I bought it from said it was best to not mess with it until I hauled out...this true?).

Can you rent boat trailers? If I found a used one (couple on craigslist) how do I tell if it will fit my boat?

Anybody got one I can borrow?! Or should I just pay someone to do it...?(not ideal). I would rather be able to get a feel for the bottom of my boat, and who know how much they would charge to replace the frozen drain...any advice???

Barquito 03-20-2013 01:04 PM

Re: New purchase, needs bottom paint, no trailer

If I understand correctly, you are in the water now, and need to do bottom work. If you plan on trailering the boat to other waters, or want to trailer the boat to your house often for repairs a trailer might be worth it. I have found that trailers are pretty expensive. If you only need to haul every few years, just pay a yard. If all you need to do is paint, they might give you a special deal to just leave it in the travel lift bay overnight. Get all the painting done except what is under the jack stand pads, then in the morning they put it back in the sling and you paint those spots.

If the sink seacock is jammed you might break it trying to work on it, therefore, would be safer if the boat is out of the water.

chuck53 03-20-2013 01:37 PM

Find a yard that allows do it yourself work. Not all do. Have it hauled and blocked. If it hasn't been painted in 4 years, most likely the bottom is pretty nasty and will take some serious work to clean up. Get a power washer and hit it as soon as it is out of the water.

russellnyberg 03-20-2013 02:11 PM

Thanks for that. Can someone please explain the sink seacock to me...? Under the sink there is a valve, this is it yeah? it spins freely, so I'm assuming that its shot...is that the only thing separating the drain from the outlet (which is above water level right?) Where does it come out? Same place as my bilge pump?

Wouldn't it be alright to work on it in the water? At the Marina the valve would be normally open wouldnt it?. So whats the harm in replacing it in the water? (maybe as stated, if I broke it, it could be hard to fix in the water.)

(sorry, lots of questions...)

MarkSF 03-20-2013 02:43 PM

There always seem to be more trailerable boats than trailers, the result being that used trailers are hard to find. Probably easier to buy a new trailer, or a boat/trailer combination just for the trailer....

On the subject of the drain, can't you see where it goes through the hull? They are often below the waterline. If it is, and you break the valve off, and the boat is in the water, it will sink. Simple. I suspect that's why the PO told you not to mess with it in the water.

russellnyberg 03-20-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 1005295)

On the subject of the drain, can't you see where it goes through the hull? They are often below the waterline. If it is, and you break the valve off, and the boat is in the water, it will sink. Simple. I suspect that's why the PO told you not to mess with it in the water.

It would be impossible for the sink to drain below the waterline...

MarkSF 03-20-2013 02:59 PM

That comes as a surprise, as mine has been doing so since 1984. The water level will sit part way up the hose, that is all.

baboon 03-20-2013 03:05 PM

The kent ranger 24s in my area are fixed keel boats, I find the weight listed at over 3000 lbs, any trailer that works has to be sturdy and fit well to the boat. You will need a lift to get it on the trailer as well. I would guess it would be more economical to just pay the yard to pull it and work on it yourself.

The seacock for the sink drain could be above or below the water line, it will drain either way. The risk of an old gate valve (which I thnk you have based on the description of it just spinning) is breaking it while you work on it. If you have to pull the boat anyway, do it out of the water, and strongly consider replacing it with a proper seacock. Mainsail who contributes to this forum at times has a nice description on his site.

russellnyberg 03-20-2013 03:12 PM

Ah, so the waterline in the hose would be equal to the actual water line right? I can surely see the danger in that...I'll have to do some more investigation into that mess.

russellnyberg 03-20-2013 03:23 PM

Thanks Baboon...that's what I'm thinking. I don't really have anywhere to put a trailer...and I can't pawn much more off on the girlfriend anyway.

So...how much time for this job you think? A week?

I have to pay for the haul out...then pay for the guy to come with his trailer, and take it to his DIY yard (the only one around), and then pay for the time in the yard. And also all my equipment and then getting it back into the water...I reckon I'll compare this price to the price of just having someone do all the work...if the price comes out the same, I would still rather just do it myself for the experience.