Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013

nolesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Send packing the stuffing gland..

"For someone who is less mechanically inclined and willing to spend money the PSS might be the right way to go."

For those less mechanically inclined? I'd say installing one of these is a bit more involved than packing a stuffing box...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

nolesailor: Yes, but if you are less mechanically inclined you are probably paying someone to install the PSS or repack your stuffing box.
Old 03-22-2013

Got it...these aren't for the "real" sailors...just the "wannabe" sailors that would rather spend what little free time they have sailing instead of maintenance...like all the boats at our marina that never go out and are perpetually being worked on...

I certainly wouldn't characterize them as only for those less mechanically inclined...to each their own...
Old 03-22-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

You are reading a lot of bitterness into my comments that wasn't there. I'd rather spend time sailing than fixing too, and spend a lot of time on the water as a result.

I said that they are more expensive to maintain (if you replace the O-rings at the scheduled interval) with the tradeoff that they require less periodic labor. If you are paying for the labor that would change the cost basis one way, if you aren't then it swings it a different way.
Old 03-22-2013

My apologies for reading into your comments too much...

I am happy with mine..and had it installed when the boat was hauled to replace the cutless bearing...certainly wasn't cheap but seemed like a decent time to do it as the shaft was out...

That said...I know more people with a stuffing box than these seals and they are happy with them also...
Old 03-22-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

I've had a PSS shaft seal on my boat going on eight years. I plan to do the six-year maintenance this coming fall. Never had a leak or any issues at all except one:

The shaft seal requires lubrication in the form of raw water. You'll see a hose fitting on the PSS shaft seal on the forward end. This allows a hose to be plumbed into your raw water system so that the shaft can get some raw water when the engine is turning the shaft. When the engine is not running, this hose can allow raw water to run the other way - from the shaft seal to the engine raw water system. Several years ago, I discovered sea water in my crankcase and finally figured out the water was coming from the shaft seal. Since then, I've raised the hose and installed a siphon break, but a check valve might work or even a regular valve that one closes when closing off the raw water thru-hull after shutting down the engine.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 03-22-2013

itsaboat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
I've had a PSS shaft seal on my boat going on eight years. I plan to do the six-year maintenance this coming fall. Never had a leak or any issues at all except one:

The shaft seal requires lubrication in the form of raw water. You'll see a hose fitting on the PSS shaft seal on the forward end. This allows a hose to be plumbed into your raw water system so that the shaft can get some raw water when the engine is turning the shaft. When the engine is not running, this hose can allow raw water to run the other way - from the shaft seal to the engine raw water system. Several years ago, I discovered sea water in my crankcase and finally figured out the water was coming from the shaft seal. Since then, I've raised the hose and installed a siphon break, but a check valve might work or even a regular valve that one closes when closing off the raw water thru-hull after shutting down the engine.
The instructions for installation have two configurations: for low speed boats, and for high speed boats. As much as we would like to think differently on race days, our sailboats are low speed boats. For high speed boats, the "T" off the engine is recommended so the water is not siphoned out of the bellows during high speed. For low speed boats, there are no connections to the raw water system for the engine, only a hose that connects to the bellows. This hose is filled with raw water by gravity up to the waterline of the boat. I installed a clear tube so I can see the water level. I "burped" the bellows after splashing the boat and the water level has remained there since.

Instructions here: PSS Shaft Seal
Old 03-22-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
The instructions for installation have two configurations: for low speed boats, and for high speed boats. As much as we would like to think differently on race days, our sailboats are low speed boats. For high speed boats, the "T" off the engine is recommended so the water is not siphoned out of the bellows during high speed. For low speed boats, there are no connections to the raw water system for the engine, only a hose that connects to the bellows. This hose is filled with raw water by gravity up to the waterline of the boat. I installed a clear tube so I can see the water level. I "burped" the bellows after splashing the boat and the water level has remained there since.

Instructions here: PSS Shaft Seal
Yeah, I know. The system came with boat. All I'm pointing out is that the shaft seal could allow water into the boat. In my case, it allowed water into the engine because the factory did not set it up correctly. If set up as a vent hose as the manufacturer suggests for sailboats, it could allow for water in the boat if not done properly or if the vent hose fails for some reason.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 03-22-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

The only o-rings in my PSS shaft seal are on the rotor, which is fixed to the shaft. There isn't any maintenance that I feel is necessary here. You could check with PYI to get there opinion on routine maintenance.

I replaced my bellows when they were about 18 years old. They seemed stiff to me, but there weren't any drips, so it was purely precautionary. PYI advised me that this was the right approach. The newer bellows use a different material.

My dripless shaft seal has performed flawlessly for 22 years. I do not have the tube for water lubrication, which makes more sense on a power boat running longer and at higher revs. My seal gets lubricated by whatever water gets thru the cutless bearing.

I've wondered about a catastrophic failure but, should the seal or bellows blow out, it seems highly unlikely that enough water would flow past the cutless bearing to overwhelm a bilge pump. I'm fairly certain I could keep up with it using the manual backup bilge pump in my cockpit.
Old 03-22-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road

I intend to use a dedicated sea **** just to supply the raw water to the pss seal or another type of seal.

Just a strait forward sea **** with a grp ( home made ) water scoop fitted to the outside of the fitting.

So even when the engine is NOT running just sailing along will still permit water to go through the fitting.

My mooring when I get in back to the water is on a river.
The river can run approx 3 knots in either direction depending on the tide coming in or going out.
So I guess water will be going through the pss seal most of the time.
Or whatever seal I decide to use in the end.

If I had a vessel that used the engine all the time I may have chosen to use the water return before it was sent down the exaust hose..

Robert