SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Send packing the stuffing gland.. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/97758-send-packing-stuffing-gland.html)

macwester26 03-21-2013 12:55 PM

Send packing the stuffing gland..

I am thinking about fitting a pss Shaft seal fitting to the propshaft stern tube instead of using a traditional Stuffing box .

Vetus-Shop.Com : Vetus Shaft Seal with Dual Lip 30mm (Vetus ZWB30A)

With a dedicated water scoop just for the seal that way under travel without the engine running water should still pass through the sterntube.
Anybody else fitted one of these ?????

Robert

captbillc 03-21-2013 01:16 PM

Re: Send packing the stuffing gland..

i think a stuffing box with new goretex packing is the way to go. it will run cool with just a drip or two now and then. does not wear the shaft either. since i installed it i have not had to tighten the packing. no drips when the shaft is not turning.

miatapaul 03-21-2013 01:26 PM

The issue with the drip-less seals is that when they fail it is generally do so in a catastrophic manor. With a standard stuffing box you will get warnings that is going bad, in the form of drips and leaks. As I understand it they have some maintenance issues as well that if not done correctly it will tend to have a very short life. Cant think at the moment what the issue is but I am sure someone will chime in.

macwester26 03-22-2013 09:39 AM

I have today been again looking around the internet for other options and again changed my mind.
Now looking at a deep water seal.
Large cruisers and the like seem to have no trouble with them.

Just another option Any others suggestions from the members..?

Robert

benesailor 03-22-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

With a dedicated water scoop just for the seal that way under travel without the engine running water should still pass through the sterntube.
Anybody else fitted one of these ?????
This is how mine is. It looks factory (20 yrs old?). Works great. No issues. I do check it regularly as part of my system checks before and during use. Don't notice any heat issues. I have a very dry boat; i'd like to keep it that way.

macwester26 03-22-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benesailor (Post 1006141)
This is how mine is. It looks factory (20 yrs old?). Works great. No issues. I do check it regularly as part of my system checks before and during use. Don't notice any heat issues. I have a very dry boat; i'd like to keep it that way.

Hi could you tell me please what type or name of the seal you have fitted.
Many thanks
Robert

deniseO30 03-22-2013 10:12 AM

I've a pss on my boat. nearly 5 yrs. no problems. no drip ever.

macwester26 03-22-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 1006148)
I've a pss on my boat. nearly 5 yrs. no problems. no drip ever.

Hi DeniseO30.
Thats great news Just what I was hoping to here.

Many many thanks
Robert

Alex W 03-22-2013 10:53 AM

How long are people getting between replacing the O-rings on the PSS?

That's my concern with the PSS and what kept me with a traditional stuffing box. Replacing the O-rings on the PSS requires a haul out and pulling the prop shaft. It's also doesn't seem easy to inspect or lubricate the O-rings while the boat is in the water.

Replacing the packing on a stuffing box can be done while the boat is in the water without making a big mess.

macwester26 03-22-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1006173)
How long are people getting between replacing the O-rings on the PSS?

That's my concern with the PSS and what kept me with a traditional stuffing box. Replacing the O-rings on the PSS requires a haul out and pulling the prop shaft. It's also doesn't seem easy to inspect or lubricate the O-rings while the boat is in the water.

Replacing the packing on a stuffing box can be done while the boat is in the water without making a big mess.

Hi Alex W.
I have the same thoughts.
But a post above # 7 has had no problems in a few years.

Robert