Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-21-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
SSB Antenna

I have Icom 700 Pro with AT tuner on insulated back stay. All works well. Will be replacing the back stay soon and to save $600 in insulators, was thinking of using this 9 foot whip with the tuner.

RadioShack 102 Stainless Steel Whip Element for CB Antenna : CB Radio Antennas | RadioShack.com

I might not be able to tune lower than say 20 meter band, but that would be ok for me. 14,300 seems to be the best freq in any case.

Comments please
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: SSB Antenna

I have a long wire antenna that I raise using my spi-lift from the stern section to the top of the mast as my SSB antenna. It is away from both backstays, is insulated and easy to hoist/remove. Saves using expensive insulator(s) for my backstay and beats a whip antenna.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I have a long wire antenna that I raise using my spi-lift from the stern section to the top of the mast as my SSB antenna. It is away from both backstays, is insulated and easy to hoist/remove. Saves using expensive insulator(s) for my backstay and beats a whip antenna.
I would like to do somthing like that. I could get it to work at anchor, but while sailing, It would get caught up in my standing rigging.
Old 03-21-2013

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I would like to do somthing like that. I could get it to work at anchor, but while sailing, It would get caught up in my standing rigging.
Not necessarily. You didn't mention what kind of boat you have.

On many boats, it's possible to rig a semi-permanent "alternate backstay" antenna, such as Zanshin described. I have one on my own boat, and have rigged lots of them on client's boats.

I favor insulated 3/16" s/s lifeline, because it is rugged and can be pulled up tight so it doesn't flop around in a seaway. It works every bit as well as a traditional insulated backstay antenna.

Here's the one on my boat. Been there for some 20 years, and has been thru 5 major hurricanes in the Caribbean.

DSC_0028

If your principal interest is the 20-meter band, may I suggest the best DX antenna of all? A vertical dipole, made of the same insulated lifeline. Construction details are here.

http://wdsg.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=125

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 03-21-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Not necessarily. You didn't mention what kind of boat you have.

On many boats, it's possible to rig a semi-permanent "alternate backstay" antenna, such as Zanshin described. I have one on my own boat, and have rigged lots of them on client's boats.

I favor insulated 3/16" s/s lifeline, because it is rugged and can be pulled up tight so it doesn't flop around in a seaway. It works every bit as well as a traditional insulated backstay antenna.

Here's the one on my boat. Been there for some 20 years, and has been thru 5 major hurricanes in the Caribbean.

DSC_0028

If your principal interest is the 20-meter band, may I suggest the best DX antenna of all? A vertical dipole, made of the same insulated lifeline. Construction details are here.

Marine Antennas

Bill
Nice pics and installation. I might be able to work somthing like that. Boat is S&S 34 mast head sloop. I do have solar panels mounte at stern that I need to work around.
Regards
Old 03-21-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

what about a 20m dipole from mast to stern rail?

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 03-22-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

I should have mentioned that my installation and the antenna recommendation came from btrayfors ; for some reason I thought that he wasn't on this forum but on another one.

Bill - the installation is still fine, I take the SSB down only rarely and the ground plane you installed does the job perfectly.

Old 03-22-2013

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I should have mentioned that my installation and the antenna recommendation came from btrayfors ; for some reason I thought that he wasn't on this forum but on another one.

Bill - the installation is still fine, I take the SSB down only rarely and the ground plane you installed does the job perfectly.
So glad to hear it. Hope you're still loving the new boat. I follow your posts and see you're still livin' the good life!

Second day of spring up here and it's COLD....29 degrees this morning and windy.

Take care,

Bill
Old 03-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
what about a 20m dipole from mast to stern rail?
That'll work OK. Main problem, though, is that you can't use it underway.

If you rig your dipole forward, between the forestay and the mast, it's easier sometimes. Leave it that way when at anchor or in a marina, and move the lower end back into the shrouds when underway. Takes only a minute or so. It will work OK that way, but with some detuning.

Then, if you build yourself a little black box such as the one shown on my website, and put it under the gooseneck, you can use a short coax feedline to the dipole, and it won't get in the way when sailing.

Bill