Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

BillOcala is on a distinguished road
Re: Recore Entire Deck

Well I think I will start with one of these areas, then confirm what I think is under there and go from there. The bow and the center axis seem to be solid glass and the rounded edges are 1/4" solid glass. Seemed like the safest place to start?

(The supply buying is a little confusing. Here in Florida there are several local sources of resin etc. but I am going to have to go carefully on that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
Pretty typical construction for the era & good news on both fronts. You'll need to make the inner/outer skin determination for yourself, but either choice is fine. Each has advantages & disadvantages. Weather windows have some influence, too.

I really like Gougeon Bros.' West Systems epoxy and use it for critical applications, because I explicitly trust their standards of manufacture. But for bulk work like this, you can save 50% by purchasing discount epoxy (I wouldn't even consider polyester resin for this job.) There are a number of formulators out there -- and that's all they are, because everyone buys their resins and hardeners from the same two sources. They dilute the hardeners and sometimes add solvents to adjust cure rate, flow out, and mix ratios.

HOWEVER: Some of these discounters supply (or sell) pumps for their epoxies that are not metered. That is, they don't dispense the correct amounts of resin & hardener on a one-pump to one-pump basis. Even if they are different colors, or have different numbers on them, the pumps are identical. YOU have to count the right number of strokes, like "Three resin, one hardener." If you are used to metered pumps from top-end vendors like West or MAS, there is room for heartbreak here.

Do not ask how I know this.
Attached Thumbnails
Recore Entire Deck-first-cuts.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

Well we are going under the knife tomorrow. Thanks for all of your ideas - this is weirder because there is no data for this boat. At the very least some future Anacapri Erica 24 owner will know what is inside his boat

My tool of choice an oscillating multitool Nice clean cuts.
Old 03-30-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillOcala View Post
Well we are going under the knife tomorrow. Thanks for all of your ideas - this is weirder because there is no data for this boat. At the very least some future Anacapri Erica 24 owner will know what is inside his boat

My tool of choice an oscillating multitool Nice clean cuts.
Good luck! The multitool is far and away the best choice for this job. There's a tendency on some of the cheaper versions for the blade to get pinched in the deck core & vibrate loose. I put a lock washer under the retaining bolt & that solved the need to re-tighten the blade every two feet. Hmm... you've got me motivated to carve out another section of our sidedecks. Ugh. You would not believe the state of the genoa track backing. So rotted, can't tell if it was solid fir or plywood!
Old 07-19-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

This weekend I will be finishing up the deck repair. It was a big job, but not nearly as scary or messy as it sounded initially. Advice you guys gave really helped with that. Florida summer weather was really the only bad part about the whole deal. Now that I have all these really cool tools, (and a little bit more experience) I think I might be looking to pick up another distressed boat this winter and do this again!
Old 07-19-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Have any pictures for us?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-14-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

I am done fiberglassing!!!!

Conquered major delays:
- I messed up my knee fooling with a tarp tore my PCL (sort of the opposite of a ACL)
- Working in 90 to 100 degree weather with rain almost every day

I have learned that:
- Working with fiberglass cloth is why cuss words were invented. Fiberglass cloth will NEVER lay down the same way twice.
- CSM is a breeze if you dont mess with it too much once down. Rolling heavy CSM too much at the wrong time causes it to break up on your roller and make an awful mess.
- And today I discovered that Love Bugs are attracted to the smell of Polyester resin. Arrggg!!!

I would do it again- but never ever ever ever ever again in the summer time!!!!

P.S. (I did not reuse the old skin - it just didn't look like it would fit right. I laid all new material)
jameswilson29 likes this.

Last edited by BillOcala; 09-14-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: addedum
Old 09-14-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Were you using true fiberglass "cloth"? A better choice is 17 Oz. uncrimped fabric - often called Biaxial. It drapes nicely, wets out nicely and doesn't move around as much as cloth when you roll & squeegee it. It also builds thickness faster.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-25-2013
1975 Anacapri Erika 24

A lot more work to do, and off topic - but finally in the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Recore Entire Deck-copy-finally-wet.jpg   Recore Entire Deck-copy-temp-home.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Pretty boat!
BillOcala likes this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
The Following User Says Thank You to arf145 For This Useful Post:
BillOcala (10-03-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.