Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2004

oz_hole is on a distinguished road
Stowing Inflatable on Deck

Was wondering what the general consensus was of stowing an inflatable on deck. Just got rid of a collapsable dinghy and went with a hard bottom. Getting ready to install some padeyes on the foredeck for tie-down points and wondered what the best stowage situation would be. Inflated or deflated?
Also what would be best for cleaning bare aluminum bilges?
Thanks, Oz
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2004

dlschilke24 is on a distinguished road

Faced same subject. Several considerations: how often do you use it; how difficult is it to hoist over the side and retreive it; what access to foredeck hatches, anchoring gear, etc. would be blocked; does it materially compromise safety moving around the foredeck; would any forward visibility be reduced? I ended up deflating mine, rolled it up and stored it against my catamaran windshield. All in all, a wobbly, compromise solution, but better than towing it.
Old 05-27-2004
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I can get my 10'' caribe onto the forward deck of my C&C 30 by myself. I use my spinnaker halyard clipped to my preventer (4-1 purchase). I clip the preventer to a line spanning the lower tow rings of my inflatable. Using the 4-1 purchase I can easilyl pull the tender out of the water and hold it off the life lines while it come up. I then move it so the stern is at the base of the mast and slowly lower it. Since I cliped the the lower towing rings it naturaly lowers upside down (If you use the upper tow rings you might have to force it to come down upside down.)

I can tie it down using the toe rail or stanchion bases.

This does not leave me much room to walk around up there and I have never tried getting it up or down in heavy weather.

Old 05-27-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road

I guess everything is a trade off. We had a C&C 30 as well and, on occasion, would flip the dinhgy upside-down and store her on the foredeck. Then there was this one time... coming up Narragansett Bay having sailed all the way from City Island, NY and the wind was blowing and it was choppy. The roller furling got jammed and we cudnt get to it without getting the dingy in the water which we did successfully. We were also successful in not holding onto the painter and getting it wrapped around our prop. Had to cut the dingy loose. Some good egg picked it up and towed it into port of us. I would say in cases where you were worried about towing it to bring her right up tight against the stern unless, of course, your dinghy is small enough or foredeck big enough to offer access to your foresail, roller-furling, anchor, etc.
Old 05-29-2004

oz_hole is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately it will cover the forepeak doghouse and two hatches, but no other alternative.
Getting ready to bring the boat back to MA from St. Maarten. Last time we lashed the collapsable dinghy to the stanchion bases which made walking forward a hazard.
Now that the padeyes have been installed I''ve got a much cleaner deck, of course if I had stowed the dinghy deflated I could''ve gained an extra 12" on either side.
Working alone I use a locking winch handle on the mast mounted spin halyard winches, take a few wraps off and that allows me some freedom to drop the dinghy.
thanks again.
Oz