SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   Canadians: Station License or not? (

Ritchard 03-25-2013 10:55 AM

Canadians: Station License or not?
This is a question for Canadians, perhaps more specifically Great Lakes Canadians. Are all Y'all registering for station licenses to travel to the US? I know it's the rule, but I am quite hesitant to do so. I need another annually recurring fee like I need a hole in the head, and the idea of using a radio license call sign in front of my boat name each and every radio call has no appeal.

Are those of you who travel to the US getting station licences? Are they actually actively enforcing the rule?

Thanks in advance.


benesailor 03-25-2013 11:15 AM

Re: Canadians: Station License or not?
I live on the opposite side from you (US). I have never seen something like that enforced. Didn't even know it existed.

jackdale 03-25-2013 11:46 AM

Re: Canadians: Station License or not?
The official answer


Ship Radio Station Licensing

Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by Reference RBR-2.
If you do not meet both of the above criteria, you will require a radio licence. You can contact your local Industry Canada office for more information. All of the Industry Canada offices can be found in RIC-66.
The unofficial answer - this is not usually enforced in the PNW.

SloopJonB 03-25-2013 05:09 PM

Re: Canadians: Station License or not?
I thought you only required a license for SSB/Ham radios.

doogymon 03-25-2013 05:33 PM

Re: Canadians: Station License or not?
Two part deal.

1. You need a ROC-M (Operators Certificate) to transmit and talk regardless of location.....period. A LID can rendure Maritime Marine Spectrum useless in short order.

2. You need a Station's Licence for the vessel if you operate in US or other Int'l waters.
SSB in the Maritime bands will be covered off with your ROC-M and Station Lic as well as Radar.

Frequently Asked Questions - Transport Canada

RBR-2 — Technical Requirements for the Operation of Mobile Stations in the Maritime Service - Spectrum Management and Telecommunications



btrayfors 03-25-2013 05:35 PM

Re: Canadians: Station License or not?
Under international regulations, you must have both an operators permit and a station license -- even for VHF -- if you travel to other countries OR if you communicate with a foreign-flagged vessel. The operators permit and the station license may cover all types of transmitting equipment if you've checked all the boxes. Once you have these credentials, you need nothing further to use the equipment abroad, i.e., on the high seas or even within the territorial waters of a foreign country.

If you have a ham license, you can use a ham station almost anywhere (portable, fixed, airplane, boat, motorcycle, etc.) within your own country and on the high seas. In the territorial waters of another country, you require some sort of reciprocal license. The requirements are sometimes covered by international agreements between countries, granting either automatic or semi-automatic reciprocal privileges. Where there are no reciprocal agreements, you must obtain a license issued by the foreign country, following whatever steps they require.

In the U.S. -- and apparently in Canada from the cited regulation -- you do not require any sort of license for VHF/marine use exclusively in your own country.

You DO require an both an operators permit and a station license for marine SSB operation and for certain other transmitting equipment.

The USCG is aware of these regs and, increasingly, is paying attention now that the FCC has essentially abdicated responsibility, mainly because of budgetary cuts going back some years now.



doogymon 03-25-2013 06:42 PM

Re: Canadians: Station License or not?
Sorry ......but you do need a "Authorization" in effort to legally use a VHF Marine Transceiver (for a pleasure boat) anywhere in Canada as a Canadian. This Authorization is in the form of an "Operator's Certificate" called a ROC-M. It will also let you use a SSB maritime Radio etc. The Canucks want their mariners (even pleasure boaters) to not "Ball up" the Maritime Spectrum because lives depend on it.

CorvetteGuy 03-25-2013 07:11 PM

Re: Canadians: Station License or not?
Radio silence, or the 5th on lake ont.

Ritchard 03-25-2013 07:46 PM

Re: Canadians: Station License or not?
Corvette Guy is first to answer - though slightly cryptically - the spirit of my question.

I should have mentioned that of course we have operators' licenses for the marine VHF.

Anyone else have anecdotal evidence of USCG or anybody enforcing or not enforcing these regs? I have no idea what the penalty is.

johnnyandjebus 03-25-2013 07:55 PM

Re: Canadians: Station License or not?
Hello all
This thread has me thinking, I am Canadain and do have my Operator's Certificate for my VHF radio. Will this be enough if sailing in American waters? Or is there an international/American certificate I need?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome