First they took the TBT....now they want the paint! - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: First they took the TBT....now they want the paint!

Well, my boatyard is small and I usually get painted in mid-winter when it's slow but I've never had them say they can't do it because they've used up their paint allowance for the week. Maybe bottom paints here in CA are already lower, every other kind of finish is.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

If you look on the shelves for the coming season of new paints. most manufactures have lower VOC and non copper based paints on the market. Many are even water based. So places like Washington st where Kellysails and I are, it will not be hard with in the next 4-5 yrs or so to get bottom paint on that meets the laws. The issue will be, is many of us are now forced to also strip the bottom before then, or at least as part of a sale after the fact of having the bottom stripped of all copper based paint, even if covered with non copper paint. Which frankly is going to be a pain for many folks! At least now with homes, if you think you may have lead in the paint/asbestos somewhere, ie house is older than about 1970, you can sign a waiver to the effect it may have this issues, buyer beware!

If I am reading the wa st law tho, I can have the copper based paint on the boat, covered with non copper for as long as I own the boat, so if I own the boat for another 20-30 yrs, I will not have to strip the bottom until that time!

Marty
Old 03-25-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

An even better excuse to take myself and the boat into warmer climes.
Old 03-25-2013

twelch is on a distinguished road

Is there nothing that the stumble bums in this administration don't want to regulate??
Old 03-25-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Practical Sailor did a nice write up of the new paints they are testing. Some of the new non-copper paints are even doing well against fouling.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelch View Post
Is there nothing that the stumble bums in this administration don't want to regulate??
It has nothing to do with the administration. The EPA took on a life of its own decades ago.

For all things like this, look to L.A. to see what the future holds.
jrd22 and olson34 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-25-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

The MD regulation allows 3.3 pounds/gallon VOC.

Pettit Ultima SR 60 contains only 2.9 pound/gallon VOC (MSDS). SR 40 is a bit lower.

I guess we have to check the products one at a time. But perhaps no gloom and doom. The local yard confirmed that this would not change their anti-fouling product line-up.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

billy, "zero VOC" limits in paints and other "coatings" have been around for nearly 20 years now in many states and industries. No big surprise if someone wants to push for water-based bottom paints now too, after all, the industry has had 20 years to catch up on the new technology.

If the EPA really had any stones, they'd just ban all recreational boating, since it disturbs the marine habitat with no good reason.
Old 03-25-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
...If the EPA really had any stones, they'd just ban all recreational boating, since it disturbs the marine habitat with no good reason.
Or breathing, since it causes release of H2O vapor, the primary greenhouse gas. Just give them time... and all those billions of bullets.

-----

Meanwhile, while we fiddle (with EPA regs), China is putting the final economic squeeze on us. Same globe:

same globe:

same globe:

same globe:

same globe:

same globe:

same globe:

same globe:

same globe:

same globe:

The Arabs have got to be laughing at our rediculous squamishness about drilling near reindeer (especially after the mega spill in the gulf where news coverage was strictly limited, and how we look the other way regarding Venezualian gulf drilling mega spills). And the Chinese have got to be laughing at our EPA regulations. Heck if they had any brains, they'd probably help fund that viewpoint within the U.S. And then there's the Pentagon saying their number one threat is environmental.

I'm not advocating pollution -- far from it! I think they should spend their energies on the whole-scale mass destruction of our environment and leave the tiny blips alone. But what do you expect when they can get away with ignoring nuclear proliferation just by handing out a bunch of free phones to voters.

Regards,
Brad
jrd22 likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 03-25-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2013

probwhite is on a distinguished road

Absolutely Draconian and Bloombergian regulations. Total government nanny state intrustion. Where does it end?

I came off the rebound, started looking around,
Figured out it's time to have a little fun.