First they took the TBT....now they want the paint! - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013

tomhuntdmd is on a distinguished road
Re: First they took the TBT....now they want the paint!

For those of us living near the border, these Regs. will make a lot of work for yards in Sydney and Vancouver BC. What does that do for the US economy!!
jrd22 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

This also has nothing to do with the feds, the regs here in Wa st were passed by the nimwits in Olympia! We here on the left coast do not need the nimwits on the right coast to screw us over on items like this. Ca is the same, the nimwits in Sacramento are doing them over! Not sure about them right leaning folks on the right coast!

Marty
Old 03-25-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Personally, what gets me is the fact that the recreational boater will be subject to these laws. Owners of larger boats and commercial shipping (i.e. those who can afford lobbyists) will be exempt.

I don't know how many cargo ships go in and out of SF bay every day, but I would bet that the copper leeched off their hulls (not to mention other pollutants and invasive species) far outweigh the recreational boats.

I am reluctantly okay with the guidelines, given (1) there is a good alternative to copper-based paints, (2) the alternatives are not hugely expensive - even now it takes me a few years to save enough for a new bottom job - and (3) the law is universally applied - no exceptions for special interest groups.

It is times like this when working together with a group like BoatUS may give us the leverage to negotiate a rational solution.
Old 03-25-2013

JimPendoley is on a distinguished road

There is a deafening absence of perspective here. I live on the Merrimac River which used to change colors daily depending on what factory was dumping upriver. Eagles were an historical memory and the water was unswimmable. The EPA that is being reviled here is the same EPA that cleaned up the water I swim in and the air I breath in today. Eagles soar the length of the river and nest a mile from my mooring. I for one don't aspire to an environment like the chinese are living in and I'm pleased with the stewardship we have shown as a nation for our natural resources. A lot has been accomplished by dedicated scientists and bureaucrats in the EPA. It might be nice to hear about the science behind the regulation before we condemn it.
Old 03-25-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Hmm.. Sounds like I better get that tin of Red Lead I was going to buy sooner rather than later.
Old 03-25-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Hmm.. Sounds like I better get that tin of Red Lead I was going to buy sooner rather than later.

Or point your boat a bit further North where saner policy's prevail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 03-25-2013

twelch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Or point your boat a bit further North where saner policy's prevail.
I would prefer the waters farther south. The equatoria waters are warm and swimable all year round.
Old 03-26-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road

No such problems here in the U.K. yet.
But if there is money that can be made from it i am sure somebody will try.

But at the moment you can paint on anything you want and as many times as you wish and I guess just about anywhere you want to do it .No restrictions.

There are beaches here that people have moored on waited for the tide to go out and as it starts to go out scrape of the bottom and before the tide returns re paint...Not so many yachts though unless like mine they have twin bilge keels.
Old 03-26-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

We have two boats. A 28' Islander and a 15' Marshal Cat. I have been using an ablative, solvent based, copper on the Islander and an ablative, water born, copper on the cat boat for 5 years. I see no difference in the protection. The vehicle, (solvent or water) doesn't seem to affect the af properties. I prefer handling the water born paint and am planning to use it on both boats from now on. Who needs to smell xylene if you don't have to? I didn't try the water born paint as a response to any regulation. I just liked the thought of getting away from handling the solvent. Clean up is much easier and more pleasant. Water is cheaper than xylene, too.

TBT used to be my fave! It was / is very toxic. Copper allows considerable more fouling than the TBT of old. There wasn't even slime with Micron 22. Seal Harbor "enjoys" a reputation of being a high fouling harbor. Now, all I get is slime if I use the boats. The ablative properties along with the copper keep them reasonably clean. The only "beard" I get is from splash at the boot tops. Perhaps it is time to raise them? Water borne technology has come of age and we should embrace it for personal convenience and safety if it works. I think it does. It has for me.

As far as a substitute for copper, I don't have any experience with any of the new copper free af paints, yet. I guess it is time to try one. I will paint the cat boat with a water born one this year and see how it works.

Having to remove all old copper is over the top! If it was in an ablative paint it has ablated! If it was in a leaching paint it has leached. If it is in a hard paint it is contained.

Down
Old 03-26-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Thank god I live in a free country and not in the US. In BC such laws are completely unenforceable in remote areas.
It is so sad that this statement is completely true. It only took 30 years of dumbing down the population to get there.
twelch likes this.