First they took the TBT....now they want the paint! - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: First they took the TBT....now they want the paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick486 View Post
All you guys who voted for Obama and his gang are going to continue paying the price.
This has been in the works for years, so I doubt it has anything to do with the Obama administration. By the way he has basically been moderate on the environment with the exception of the Keystone Pipeline. And his position on that is not even very far left.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"One only need look to China to imagine what this country would look like without the EPA."
'ear now, mate, the Brits did it first. The coal smog over London was well documented in the 1800's.

And for all we know, the Chinese are encouraging the pollution. It should help solve their population crisis.

Mayor Mike's Bottom Paint: Now available, sugar-free, in 16-oz cans, nothing larger! Be glad he thinks he's God, not Henry Ford, or else it would only come in black.
Old 03-27-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
This has been in the works for years, so I doubt it has anything to do with the Obama administration. By the way he has basically been moderate on the environment with the exception of the Keystone Pipeline. And his position on that is not even very far left.
The environmentalists usually stay quiet when their guy is in power. But as soon as the campaigning starts in earnest, watch how everything is bad and critical and we have to do something right now. Then ask yourself why they were so quiet about it the last 8 years.

I'm all for protecting the environment, preferrably in a (globally) prioritized way. But the fact that their motivation is all about power and NOT the environment is so obvious. Don't believe me? Just wait until the summer of 2016. This thread will likely still be around then.

Until then, notice how you never see alarming articles about the environment. I haven't seen one in a while and I read the news avidly. Notice that now, because you'll forget that part. You'll need to remember that part when summer of 2016 comes and the environment alarms get dusted off and start ringing again. In very large part, it's about power, and not your power.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 03-27-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

On long island for example Sandy was about one of the worst environmental disasters we have ever had in terms of spilled oil and sewage in a short amount of time

Now they had to do something while disposing of the 200,000 destroyed cars

If you know long island you know the Navy-Grumman Calverton Sight is and ongoing environmental disaster that combined with the nearby leakage from brookhaven national lab will not be cleaned up in the next 100 years

So long story short there worried about the storm damaged cars being parked at the sight there while there awaiting recycling because they might somehow pollute the polluted water

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-27-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

it would be added pollution from those cars.. just what that area needs.

At least they chose an area to park them where the impact would be minimal.. but there is still an impact.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 03-27-2013

meteuz is on a distinguished road

Before griping about EPA regulations, let us remember how in the days of totally unregulated dumping, some rivers and estuaries were so polluted that methane bubbling from the bottom would set the river on fire! That does not make for great sailing conditions. I would much rather deal with having to dive and scrub the bottom, especially if the water is clean enough to do so without contacting hepatitis or typhoid fever.

If you think all this regulation is limiting your freedom, just remember that it is rare to find a place where you can catch and eat catfish because of PCB pollution from 50 years ago, and you are not supposed to eat bluefish or striped bass caught anywhere more than once a month for the same reason. How is that for freedom?
Old 03-27-2013

peoples1234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteuz View Post
Before griping about EPA regulations, let us remember how in the days of totally unregulated dumping, some rivers and estuaries were so polluted that methane bubbling from the bottom would set the river on fire! That does not make for great sailing conditions. I would much rather deal with having to dive and scrub the bottom, especially if the water is clean enough to do so without contacting hepatitis or typhoid fever.

If you think all this regulation is limiting your freedom, just remember that it is rare to find a place where you can catch and eat catfish because of PCB pollution from 50 years ago, and you are not supposed to eat bluefish or striped bass caught anywhere more than once a month for the same reason. How is that for freedom?
It is not that the EPA is a bad entity and they have done a lot to clean up the environment. This is just a case where they are just doing something to say that they did something.

Instead of fixing the real causes of pollution in the environment (i.e. the worst offenders), they heckle the little guy because it is easier and costs less. Then, they can stand back and pat themselves on the shoulder for doing something and maintain their appointment.
Old 03-27-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Honestly, the EPA takes a long time to come up with rules and regulations. They are one of the more through agencies when it comes to investigation and implemtation. If they decided to ban copper based bottom paint, there is obviously a reason for it.

And yes, their job gets harder as the environmnent gets cleaner.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 03-27-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Honestly, the EPA takes a long time to come up with rules and regulations. They are one of the more through agencies when it comes to investigation and implemtation. If they decided to ban copper based bottom paint, there is obviously a reason for it.

And yes, their job gets harder as the environmnent gets cleaner.
So they ban TBTF for small boats but it's O/K to use on thousand foot freighters?

It's simply more "target the powerless" politics. One freighter anchored in English Bay puts more bottom paint toxins into the environment than a whole summer of sailboats.

The state of marine life in a typical marina should tell you something about how clean the water is - marine mammals aren't stupid - they will stay in clean water if they have the choice. My marina is full of life from schools of minnows to eagles, seals, otters and blue herons. Even a couple of swans.
jrd22 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-27-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
My marina is full of life from schools of minnows to eagles, seals, otters and blue herons. Even a couple of swans.
Mine also, amazing sea life and birds. Although there is no such animal as an Otter, they are called "Fu%king Otters". Man do I hate Fu%king Otters but they seem to love my boat.
jrd22 and SloopJonB like this.