Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013

mm2187 is on a distinguished road
Bottom Sanding

This is the first year I have worked on getting the bottom smooth and I sanded with 220 grit sandpaper with an orbital connected to a HEPA vac. I was thinking about doing a final sand with a higher grit sandpaper maybe around 400. How do you prep your bottom prior to launch? What grit do you end up sanding too?
Old 03-28-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom Sanding

mm,

I'm a little confused...

Are you prepping for bottom paint, or are you trying to polish a non-painted bottom?

If you are prepping for bottom paint, you are going in the wrong direction. If you use too fine of an abrasive, the paint will have a lot of difficulty adhering to the hull and it will ultimately come off in sheets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Right.
If you are merely prepping to put new paint down on top of the old paint (now sanded) you don't need to go to extremes with fine sandpaper. You want to leave some "tooth" for the paint to adhere to, hence a final grit of around 150# or so is fine.
If, on the other hand you are sanding your bottom that has no paint on it and trying to make it smooth like a babies bottom you can really go crazy with the fine grits 220# -> 320# -> 440# -> 600# -> 1000#.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

Pettit paints recommendations for previously painted surface (this is for SR40 but most are the same):

Previously Painted Surfaces:
If the previous coating is in good condition, thoroughly sand with 80 grit paper then solvent clean with 120 Brushing Thinner to remove residue. Apply two finish coats of Ultima SR-40. If the previous coating is soft or in poor condition, remove to the bare surface by sanding or using a paint & varnish remover. Proceed with appropriate bare system as described below. Old tin copolymers must be removed before applying Ultima SR-40

http://pettitpaint.com/fileshare/pro...ds/1109206.pdf

I use 40-60 grit to remove old paint, then 80 grit to smooth it and give the right amount of 'tooth'. If I had a race boat I would use different paint and then wet sand, but that is too much work for me when I could be sailing.

Barry
T37Chef likes this.

Old 03-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

you are reminding me of all those things I will be doing soon.. sanding is very low on my list of things I enjoy

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 03-28-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
you are reminding me of all those things I will be doing soon.. sanding is very low on my list of things I enjoy
Don't neglect safety when creating af dust. Respirator! With particle filters. That fits! Barrier cream on the hands is a good idea, too. Lets all get old.

Down
Old 03-28-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I know.. Friend of my mom's years ago was refinishing her coffee table. She sanded it down and then appllied a nice varnish. Between the dust in her lungs from sanding and the varnish fumes.. she badly badly damaged her lungs.

This was 30 years ago.. not sure if she is still around or not.. but I know she was in pain with every breath for a very long time

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 03-28-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I am VERY surprised the yard allows you to dry sand even with a vac system!

I wet sand with 80 grit. I have an angling head like a Swiffer mop fitted to a broom handle. It holds a 1/4 sheet. It makes the job easier quicker and hence a lot less tiring.
Old 03-29-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Bottom paint is so thick that it's pointless to prep with fine grits - I don't go finer than 80 on an orbital. If you want a super slick bottom you use the fine grits on the paint, not the substrate.
One likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-30-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I came home today blue!
Thursday, Friday and Saturday to scrape, sand and two coats of bottom paint.
Man! Are my shoulders and knees sore!

DeWalt 5" orbital set up on the 6 gal craftsman vac did the trick! No blue snot... I ended up using 80 grit; as the 50 grit that I got was a tad too aggressive. I razored the remains of the barnacles off.It was easier than sanding and boy! howdy...do those critters eat sand-paper! Only 6 discs for a 27'hull ! Two-thirds of a gallon of Pettit Sea-Kote (?) later and she's ready to go back in!