SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Growling noise around cutlass , or maybe packing or ????

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jparker11 
#1 ·
Ok here goes. I have a 38 foot Ingrid. It had a 23 hp Volvo md 11c and when you would run it up to around 1,500 RPMs it would make a growling noise that sounded like maybe the packing was not lubricated and was binding, Or a cutlas bearing maybe?? I re powered and put on a new prop, It still makes the noise. It dose very, some times it dose not start till the RPMs are a little higher. And the harder you run it the louder it gets. I am going to hall out in a few weeks but am hopping to get an Idea what to look for before it levees the water. And yes I put new packing in it.

#3 ·
Shaft Zinc
An Ingrid is a full keel boat with prop in an apeture, no? I have a full keel cutter and last year had similar noises. the zinc was too thick and was rubbing against the cutlass bearing and end of stern tube. this year I had a standard donut zinc pared down at a machine shop and the noise is gone. Maybe this is it (maybe not- you know boats)
Good Luck
Rob

#4 ·
Wow well I am exited. Finally a new Idea that sounds very probable. I will remove my zinc and see what happens. It sound like the best suggestion from any source yet. I will let you know in a few days. My fingers, and toes are crossed.

#6 ·
Dog gone it. Well I got in the water today, and removed my Zinc. It was not hitting the cutlass under power and causing the growling noise. It sounded like a good possibility but no luck. You can see that the shaft dose move forwarded under power though. It must move around 3/16, or so. You can tell because the shaft is real clean there. Any more Ideas would be grate???

#7 ·
OBIEC,

Hate to jump on the cutlass bandwagon, but..... I, too, just pulled the auxiliary (single cylinder, 12 HP dynamo, that shakes the teeth out of their sockets). After more money than I care to admit to, I stopped at replacing the cutlass bearing. Upon re-launch, the harmonic growl that increases with RPM spoiled the good sounds and exhaust of the rebuilt deisel!!

Two weeks later, out of the water and a cutlass change, end of growl!!

For and aft shaft movement is not as critical (especially with a rubber vibration damper in the shaft assembly) as ANY movement up/down or lateral in the cutlass.

Before the haul out expense, check the output shaft alignment with the prop shaft flange. After the re-power break-in period, some mis-alignment may have crept into the system via the motor mounts settling in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.