Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-28-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Shopping for rope clutches...

Any thoughts on different brands? I've raced on some boats with horrible clutches. One boat I race on has 10year old Lewmar clutches and one of them requires that you stick your finger in and engage part of the cleat by hand. Amputation waiting to happen.... Other boats have hard to operate ones, but they're old too.

I've only got one clutch on my boat now, a spinlock XLS. Seems to work well. Do y'all have a preference to opening in line with the rope or the lever going the other way?

Any features I should look for, or brands that are better than others?

MedSailor
Old 03-29-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Shopping for rope clutches...

I've bought new Lewmar and Spinlock clutches in the last year for two different boats. I prefer the design and operation of the Lewmar, and they are a little cheaper. It sounds like you've had bad luck with one, have you ever looked to understand what the actual failure was?
Old 03-29-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

We were just having this discussion on another thread!

I have Spinlock XTS on my boat, and several boats I race on have them too. I love them.

The newer Lewmars are a good product too. They use a unique design that is said to be easier on the rope, but to be honest I haven't seen any damage caused by the spinlocks either.

One knock on the Lewmar's is that they are not as easy to repair, and parts are harder to come by, so when they wear, you end up replacing them. With Spinlocks you can replace the cams easily, and if you change rope diameters into a different size range you don't have to replace the clutch, you just have to change the cam. This is a bonus if you want to use a triple clutch block, but not all your ropes are the same diameter.

The bottom line is that both brands will do the job for you, and do it well. It comes down to which ones you like the look and price of.

A lot of guys here will also suggest Garhauer, which is a make that I don't have a lot of experience with.
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 03-29-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Garhauer. Industrial strong. Not as pretty as Lemar and Spinlock, but you try the nadles of all three and decide which will last, They are 1/2 of the price also. Much of Garhaeur stuff is much cheaper than harken, lewmar etc. I have their radar pole, davits and this is my first forrey into other equipment thet make, because I have been so pleased with the company, its products and most of all their customer service

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-29-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Fisheries Supply (and thus any other large Lewmar dealer) has small parts for Lewmar clutches. Handles, springs, and clutch plates are all available.

Garhauer clutches aren't much cheaper than Lewmar. I paid about $105 for my double D1 Lewmar clutches, Garhauer are $95.
Old 03-29-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Garhauer are all metal, so less likely to fail.
Old 03-29-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Fisheries Supply (and thus any other large Lewmar dealer) has small parts for Lewmar clutches. Handles, springs, and clutch plates are all available.

Garhauer clutches aren't much cheaper than Lewmar. I paid about $105 for my double D1 Lewmar clutches, Garhauer are $95.

Lets make sure we are comparing apples to apples here. The D1 Lewmars are not even close as robust as the Garhauer Clutches. They are also made for boats less than 32 ft so they wouldnt work on Haleakula. Have you eevr picked up the D The D2 Lewmars are actually the fair comparison. D1 triple and the Garhauers. D1 Lemars weigh 32 oz, D2 weighs 62 oz and Garhauers weigh 64 oz.s

I paid $128 at the Annapolis boat show for the Garhauer triple clutch ( no tax or shipping). The comparable Lewmar is on sale at Defender for $237 for the thriple. A savings of $90. I have three triple clutches on my boat saving $270.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-29-2013

ajoliver is on a distinguished road

Some older clutches and nearly all jammers do not release under load. Avoid them.
Also, take care to position replacement clutches properly. You don't want lines entering the clutch at an angle - see this well done article . . ("Rope Clutch operation and maintenance" on myboatgear)
Old 03-29-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I have the small Spinlock clutches on my boat, so far in 5+ yrs, working just fine overall. One can also by replacement parts as thing wear out.

WIth the above said.....I do wish I had gone one size up for the main and genoa sheets. As the holding is about double, and in really strong wind/higher tension needs, the lines will slip a bit. Could be the cam going bad, or just not enough umph! I would attempt as you are doing with the main sheet, to try and figure out the lbs of pull from the halyards etc, get an appropriate sized one. I've toyed with adding another in front, or going to the next sizeup. Both have about the same total holding. If the small is say 800 lbs, the large/2 small in a row is 1600 or so.

At the end of the day as mentioned, go try all, one will hit you as being the best for you!

Marty
Old 03-29-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I have the small Spinlock clutches on my boat, so far in 5+ yrs, working just fine overall. One can also by replacement parts as thing wear out.

WIth the above said.....I do wish I had gone one size up for the main and genoa sheets. As the holding is about double, and in really strong wind/higher tension needs, the lines will slip a bit. Could be the cam going bad, or just not enough umph! I would attempt as you are doing with the main sheet, to try and figure out the lbs of pull from the halyards etc, get an appropriate sized one. I've toyed with adding another in front, or going to the next sizeup. Both have about the same total holding. If the small is say 800 lbs, the large/2 small in a row is 1600 or so.

At the end of the day as mentioned, go try all, one will hit you as being the best for you!

Marty
rope clutches on the genoa sheets is one I have not seen. how do you dump a sheet quickly and are they before the winch. seems like a pain to trim with, having to release a clutch every time you want to ease a sheet would be a pain. why not cam cleats