Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Paint to mark anchor chain?

I use green and orange flourescent spray paint made for steel (rustoleum i think). I have many years on it and still going strong. I marked my first at fifty feet (orange about 2 feet long) then every 25 feet thereafter. I dont see the point in marking less than 50 since that is 5:1 at 6 feet of water (remember to add freeboard). The next mark is green-orange which is 75. Next is orange-orange. That is 100. Orange-green-orange is 125, etc.

I like the flourescent because it stands out better, esp at night. It does not glow, but light is easier to read off it. I always leave the colors just above the water so it stands out for others too. You can buy this at home depot or lowes.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
.....I dont see the point in marking less than 50 since that is 5:1 at 6 feet of water (remember to add freeboard).......
I prefer the first drop to be 2:1 and either drift or back away from it or a few seconds, so the rest of the drop isn't just piling up in a 200lb mushroom or fouling around the anchor itself.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-29-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

I've found that a segment of white about 6 ft from the anchor gives warning as it clears the bow roller so anchor (on hydraulic) doesn't hook the bobstay. If its home the white is at the wildcat.I've got 25 fathoms of 1/2 inch chain so it's easy to lose count.
Old 03-29-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Tie wraps seem to last a year or two, but always concern me that they will hang up on the windlass.
I've never had a problem with the tie wraps in my vertical windlass.

I use the USCG and USN practice of marking with red then white then blue. Since I carry less chain than a carrier, I put marks at 10 meter points -- that means when the blue hits the roller I have 100 feet out.
IslanderGuy likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-29-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I've given up on paint, just doesn't seem to last. Different colored small wire ties hold up much better than I expected them to so that's what I use now. I use fathoms on the sounders so I mark every 5 fathoms (30'). I use two ties of one color then a different color, etc until I get to 20 fathoms where I use three white, and white again at 40, etc.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
.....I use the USCG and USN practice of marking with red then white then blue.......
Also the USGA
mgmhead likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-29-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We used rustoleum-type spray paint on about 1-2 feet of chain: red at 20 feet (useless on the way down, but on the way up it warns the person at the bow that the anchor is about to come free from the bottom); yellow at 40 feet (nice for a lunch hook); green at 60 feet and blue at 80 feet (where we usually anchor for the night). At 100 feet we switch to rode, marked at intervals with colored zip ties. Put 3 ties at each location, when you see the first one or two break, the third one is still in place showing you where to re-mark the rode.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 03-30-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've never seen paint last very long and mud totally obscures it, if you don't clean it well. Tie wraps seem to last a year or two, but always concern me that they will hang up on the windlass.

I bought these a couple of years back and just haven't gotten around to installing them. Believe it or not, our BVI charter had them.

Imtra Chain Markers
We were not pleased with either paint or ties. We use these now and they work well. We have had two or three fall out in four years. No problem with the windlass. Can't imagine why they are so expensive.
Old 03-30-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I go back and forth on paint and cable ties. Paint last about a year on a daily anchoring basis. The cable ties seem harder to see when the chain is whizzing out, especially after sunset. After reglavanizing the chain last year I painted a strip 1 meter long with a base coat of black and on top of that white, every 25 feet. Just need to count the white/black as it goes out....Funny thing a kiwi gal I had on board insisted on using, red and yellow and pink and green..an old school girl ditty..maybe the red, white blue would be easier?

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 03-30-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough

I use nylon webbing of different colors to mark chain intervals. Take about 5" lengths of 1/2" or 3/4" webbing and sew them around a link so that you have two tabs coming off the chain. Mark the length interval with black magic marker. E.g., use red tabs at 100 ft intervals, yellow in between at 50 ft intervals....so as it runs out it's yellow @50, red@ 100, yellow at 150 etc. Tabs will last for years and if they get muddy so you can't read the numbers, you can always see the color.

PS -- I have never had the tabs catch in the gypsy.
jrd22 likes this.