Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Re: Paint to mark anchor chain?

I had paint, but coral, mud and sand eat it. I now use cable ties and these last for ever, although I do replace the odd one every now and then, come to think of it they used to be black now they are nearly all white with some yellow and I don't know where the red one came from.
jrd22 likes this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

using paint...yes as many have said it wears off after a bit and you need to renew it. I might try those specialized markers...

Such a nerd, my marking scheme is red (25'), green (50'), blue (75'), white (100), then double red (125), double green (150), double blue (175), and on a previous bigger boat that had that much chain and could hold it all without sinking double white (200)...etc.

Yea, red, green, blue sequence towards shorter wavelengths (higher frequency) of light....helps me remember, I know, what a nerd , white who knows.
Old 03-31-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
Yea, red, green, blue sequence towards shorter wavelengths (higher frequency) of light....helps me remember, I know, what a nerd , white who knows.
Not as bad as using the resister color code ...
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Not as bad as using the resister color code ...
Yea, that's pretty nerdy too!
Old 04-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I prefer the first drop to be 2:1 and either drift or back away from it or a few seconds, so the rest of the drop isn't just piling up in a 200lb mushroom or fouling around the anchor itself.
Hey Minnie, I think you may have missread my post. How I mark my chain has nothing to do with how I play it out. We do not let anything pile at all. Proper anchoring is a skill quickly learned as a cruiser, or your voyage will likely end just as quickly!! We begin dropping the hook after the boat is beginning to slip backwards, or just before. We do not let any of it pool at the bottom. That's a recipe for disaster. We play out the chain until we are at the desired scope and facing with the other boats. At that point I put the engine lightly (if it is not already) in reverse until the slack is taken out of the chain, then give it a good burst to set it into the bottom. If it does not set, I pull it back in and re-do. When my anchor sets, it is SET.

(knock on wood) To date, I have never drug anchor with this anchor. My anchor is over-sized for this boat (x2) and I use all chain. I did drag once on a danforth on one of my first boats, but that is the only time I have ever drug.

I am also a bit miffed at how so many of you have lost the paint on your chain? We anchor out more than most and this paint is still holding strong 5-6 years later! Here, just took this pic:

Now, it has chipped off in many places, but that is why we paint the chain in about two foot segments (which also makes it easier to read). It wouldn't hurt to re-do it, but it is not terribly necessary and I have no shortage of other projects!!

I have used those little marker things. We had them on the 380. My gypsy did eat one of them eventually. But I got tired of them because it is hard to see them clearly at night or when trying to anchor in a hurry. I am a fan of painting. It is cheap, simple, and allows the owner to choose his marking points. Not to mention, the person at the helm can often see the markings as it is played out if the boat is not falling off perfectly straight (which it never does). Plus, if you use the flourescent paint like I suggest, it is easy to see at night both for you and passing boats. By leaving the paint just above the surface, it is easy to spot by both night and day... a real plus for a crowded anchorage or where drunks abound.

My only issue with painting is that initially, some of the paint will chip off and gets down into the locker. It is nothing but a nuisance, but I hate seeing those flakes down in there.

Anyways, my opinions.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-02-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Cruisingdad

Do you prime the chain, if so with what. or just spray the fluro paint on.
Old 04-04-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Cruisingdad

Do you prime the chain, if so with what. or just spray the fluro paint on.
Just spray it on. Totally dry though and nothing on the chain which could be a problem for old chain. Porbably wouldnt hurt to prime it first, I was just too lazy. But this paint has held well. I think it was made by rustoleum.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-04-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Just spray it on. Totally dry though and nothing on the chain which could be a problem for old chain. Porbably wouldnt hurt to prime it first, I was just too lazy. But this paint has held well. I think it was made by rustoleum.

Brian
OK that goes on the TODO list for the next haulout. I still think the Caribbean sandy anchorages will rub it off PDQ but it is worth a try. The last time I tried I used brush and oil based enamel over primer. Gone in 2 months.
Old 04-04-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
OK that goes on the TODO list for the next haulout. I still think the Caribbean sandy anchorages will rub it off PDQ but it is worth a try. The last time I tried I used brush and oil based enamel over primer. Gone in 2 months.
I wish I knew the exact paint and I would tell it to you... but I don't. As you can see, mine is chipped off pretty good too, but that took many years of use. However, mine was dry and clean when I put it on. That could be an issue for you.

Let me know how it turns out.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-04-2013

CapnChuck is on a distinguished road

We tried paint and as others have said, it doesn't last long. Wire ties constantly break, especially going through the windlass, so they don't work for us. What has worked for years and tens of thousands of miles in countless anchorages is 1 inch nylon webbing sewn through the chain and/or rode. 1 strip at 25 feet, 2 at 50, 3 at 75 and so on. paint can't be seen in the dark but the nylon can be felt and is easier on bare hands than wire ties. It goes through the windlass with no problem, lasts for years and won't wear out on the sea bottom. Chuck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.